"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

7/25/24

My First Estonian Style Mitten

 I am so excited to post this. I finished my Estonian mittens! I am very proud of them.


Pattern: My First Estonian Mittens by Linda Jo Park

Size: Womans Small

Yarn: Valley Yarns Huntington
Content: 75% Merino, 25% Nylon, Fingering weight.
Color: White

Yarn:Schachenmayr Regi a 4-fädig 4-ply
Content: 75% Superwash Wool/25% Nylon, Fingering weight
Color: 33019 (Aqua)

Yarn: Mountain Colors Bearfoot
Content: 60% Wool/25% Mohair/15% Nylon, Fingering weight
Color: Ruby

Needles: Circular size 1

Started: February 12, 2024
Finished: July 22, 2024

Comments: I am so pleased with these. I took a basic mitten pattern and applied the Estonian techniques and stitch patterns to it. I got the Chevron and the larger floral pattern from the book 
Eesti labakindad ilma laande laiali - Estonian mittens all around the world by Aino Praakli


Back


Close up of the stitch pattern. I should mention that I duplicate stitched the red stitches because I didn't think of it until knitting a whole mitten. I was not going to start over. 



I have no idea if Estonians did that or not. Probably not. I don't care at this point.

Palm


Close up of the thumb stitch pattern. It is common for the thumbs to be a smaller stitch pattern from the hand. I picked one that kind of matched. I found it somewhere on the internet.



Here is the pattern I used. It is 8 stitches wide and 12 rows tall.



This is the cuff. Estonian style mittens and gloves have quite an assortment of stitch patterns they used for cuffs besides the standard, and ordinary, one by one rib.



I learned quite a bit from knitting these mittens. I admit there were days when I almost threw them across the room in frustration because I just couldn't get it right. It was worth the trouble though.  Besides, I love learning new things. I've also improved my tension using small needles when changing from one needle to the next, so no more ladders from too loose or vertical ridges from knitting too tight.


I have been thinking about knitting mittens to sell in my local area. I would have to find a store to sell them, and figure out sizing issues. The mittens above are size woman's small because I did them with size 1 needles which got me a stitch gauge of 10 stitches per inch. Yes, you read that right. I think it's the most stitches per inch I've ever knit, except maybe the thread beaded knit amulet bags I made in the mid 2000's. (I still want to finish that book.) Mittens are knit tighter than usual so they are warmer. Anyway, the idea is rolling around in my head. I've even stocked up on a bit of yarn to get started with the knitting. I need to find a boutique in town that caters to wealthy travelers looking for Idaho made souvenirs. I wonder if there is one? I'll have to look into it.

Live long and prosper. \\//



1 comment:

  1. They turned out wonderful! I really like the color combo you chose.

    ReplyDelete