"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

10/6/23

Layette Set #62

Another set for KnitWits. 



Cardigan



Pattern: Baby Striped Hoodie by Me (Not available)

Size: 3-6 months

Yarn: Carons Simply Soft
Content: 100% Acrylic, worsted weight
Color: Robins Egg

Yarn: Main Street Yarns Shiny + Soft
Content: 100% Acrylic, worsted weight
Color: Deep Purple

Yarn: Unknown Metallic Yarn
Content: Acrylic with Metallic thread worsted weight
Color: Teal

Needles: Circular size 6 and 7

Started: September 12, 2023
Finished: September 26, 2023

Comments: Glad it's done. I've written down lots of notes on this in the hopes I can write it up and reproduce it.

The buttons are just plain pale green.



I am very proud of the hood. I figured out how to pick up stitches along the neck edge and knit it from the bottom up. Doing it this way just gave me one seam, which I joined with the 3-needle bind off on top.



All the edge borders are done in Seed stitch.



Booties



Pattern: Seamless Garter Tassel Booties by Karen Strauss

Size: 3-6 months

Yarn: Main Street Yarns Shiny + Soft
Content: 100% Acrylic, worsted weight
Color: Deep Purple

Needle Size: Circular 7

Started: September 27, 2023
Finished: September 28, 2023

They're knit as written in the pattern. No modifications, except the buttons instead of tassels.

The Blanket



Pattern: Shell stitch

Size: 30 by 36 inches

Yarn: Carons Simply Soft
Content: 100% Acrylic, worsted weight
Color: Robins Egg

Yarn: Main Street Yarns Shiny + Soft
Content: 100% Acrylic, worsted weight
Color: Deep Purple

Hook: Size G

Started: October 3, 2023
Finished: October 3, 2023

This fabric features very cute Narwhals, considered the Unicorns of the sea. They are a real animal in the ocean. Their horns are actually a front tooth, which I find fascinating.

I thought this was going to be the last set for KnitWits, but it turned out I had a whole yard of the blanket fleece. I get two blankets from one yard, so one more to go. 

KnitWits last meeting will be in November. It will feel so weird not doing it anymore after that. I joined the group in February 2007, I think. Might have been March, but definitely in 2007.  All I had at home with me was my dogs and cats. It had been over a year since I'd closed my store and I was longing for human contact during the day. 

When I joined there were over 70 members. We supplied much needed clothing and blankets for about 14 different organizations, and our output was over 2000 items a year. Sometime along the way, I was put in charge of the fair entries for the group. It was a pretty big job at the time. I remember taking 6 huge plastic boxes full to enter that first time. Then the gal who was doing the monthly newsletter had to stop coming so I volunteered to do it for awhile.

I'm going to miss it a lot, and now I'm going to have to figure out what I'm going to knit.

Our weather has been nice the last couple weeks. Just a tad cool most days, but it's going to be in the 70's this weekend. Everything with leaves are changing color. Autumn is in full swing.

Winter is coming.

Live long and prosper. \\//



No comments:

Post a Comment