"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

8/4/23

Layette Set No. 60

A couple of months or so ago I was at Joann's looking for something (I forget what) and came across some bee buttons. They were so cute I had to get them. Well, then I need fleece with bees on it, and some yellow and black yarn. I made The Bee Set.


The Hoody



Pattern: Bee Hoody by Me (Not available)

Size: 3-6 months

Yarn: Big Twist Value by Joann's
Content: 100% Acrylic, worsted weight
Color: Pale Yellow

Yarn: Caron Simply Soft
Content: 100% Acrylic, worsted weight
Color: Black

Yarn: Red Heart Classic
Content: 100% Acrylic, worsted weight
Color: Saffron

Needles: Circular size 6 and 7

Started: June 5, 2023
Finished: July 22, 20223

Comments: I wanted to make a cardigan with a hood, instead of the usual cardigan and matching hat. I watched the bees visiting my flowers in the yard to get an idea for the stripes. We have at least a dozen different bee species living around here, from very large to very tiny. Some are very aggressive, and others don't even have stingers. It's fun watching them buzzing around gathering nectar and pollen.

The buttons that started it all.


I put a couple antennae on top. Just a couple i-cords sewed on. I wish I had a model to put this on. You could see the antennae better.


The Booties



Pattern: Seamless Garter Tassel Booties by Karen Strauss

Yarn: Caron Simply Soft
Content: 100% Acrylic, worsted weight
Color: Black

Size: 6 months

Needles: Circular size 7

Started: July 24, 2023
Finished: July 27, 20223

Comments: I actually knit this as the pattern is written. I had 2 buttons left over from the cardigan, so I put them on the booties instead of tassels.


The Blanket




Size: 30 by 36 inches
Yarn: Caron Simply Soft
Content: 100% Acrylic, worsted weight
Color: Black

Hook: Size G

Started: July 1, 2023
Finished: July 1, 2023

I like how it came out. I plan to write the pattern for the hoody.


Fire season has begun. One started east of us yesterday near Hayden Creek. Today two fires have started in Post Falls on the south side of Spokane River, and one started in Coeur d' Alene near 4th and I-90. There's also one that started a few days ago just a bit northwest of us. Authorities are speculating there might be an arsonist running around setting them because we haven't had any natural events, like lightening, to start them. It's pretty scary. I hope they don't decide to start one on the Parkarosa. It's super dry and it's been in the 90's all week. Doesn't take much for a fire to get out of control in these conditions.

A fire started in Rathdrum last Sunday in the brush beside the railroad tracks behind Bi-Mart. We drove by it just as it had started and I could not believe how fast that fire grew. Fortunately, people immediately started running toward it and worked to put it out. The fire department showed up very quickly and it was dead within a couple hours.

Which reminds me, we had a small structure fire in Lakeland High School yesterday too. I've never seen so many firemen in one place before (they were all gathered in the parking lot). They got it out quickly. I guess it was started by faulty equipment or something of that nature.

My biggest fear is a fire starting on our place. We have rain in our forecast for the weekend. I hope it happens cuz we really need it. We could do with a day or two of cooler air too. 

I worked on the new cross stitch, Flamingos, all week. On Sunday I worked on it for a few hours, only to discover I'd used the wrong shade of pink. There are two symbols: \ and /. I didn't notice and did both symbols in one pink. Took me just as long to frog as it took to stitch it in the first place. I have now colored all the squares with one of the slant lines in pink colored pencil so I can tell them apart. There's two other similar symbols, < and >. I should color one of those too.

Now I was worried I wouldn't have enough of that pink because it was so hard to get it out without it shredding and they only give so much in a kit, so I hauled myself to Joann's and found the matching DMC color. Yay! Now I've got a whole skein of it, so no worries.

Live long and prosper. \\//






No comments:

Post a Comment