"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

7/12/22

Childs Norwegian Style Mittens and a Pearl Update

 It's been ages since I've posted. I've been working on finishing projects, and living life too, I guess. More about that later. For now, I started these silly little children size mittens several weeks ago and I've finally finished them. Used some leftovers from a previous mitten project. I still have enough yarn left to make another pair, but I'm starting to get tired of the orange. Anyway...

Childs Norwegian Mittens



Pattern: Children's Norwegian Mittens No. 638 by Bernhard Ulmann

Size: Childrens size 5-7

Yarn: KnitPicks Mighty Stitch
Content: 80% Acrylic/20% Washable wool, worsted weight
Colors: Orange and White

Needles: Circular size 5

Started: April 6, 2022
Finished: July 3, 2022

Comments: Nice little antique pattern. Works up quickly. It just took me a long time to get around to doing the thumbs. These are in traditional Norwegian style, which means no thumb gusset. Instead, you knit a few stitches in contrasting yarn where the thumb goes, then come back after finishing the mitten body, remove the contrasting yarn, putting the open stitches on needles, and knitting the thumb.



I admit, I was not happy with them when they were finished. They seemed way to narrow. After I blocked them, I changed my mind. They came out perfect. It's amazing how much of an improvement blocking can do.


I made these for KnitWits, but I think I'll enter them in the fair before I turn them in.

I have been so busy lately. Most of it having to do with my new Prius. By the way, I've named her Pearl, cuz she's Pearl white. As I mentioned before, part of the purchase deal was the dealer would repair what ever was causing both the tire pressure gauge and the check engine warning lights to be on. The tire pressure gauge was fixed right away, but the check engine light is another story.

Auto Credit Sales sent me to a repair place across the street from them to start. That place fixed the tire pressure issue, which was a broken sensor. It's working fine now, but they could not repair the check engine issue because they don't know how to repair hybrids. That really surprised me because they've been around for 20 years. Hybrids, that is. So Auto Credit sent me to their own repair shop over in Spokane Valley.

The next week I went to Auto Credit in Spokane Valley. They have the computer that can be hooked up to the car computer and it'll tell you what's causing the check engine light to be on. It said the Air flow sensor was defective. I waited a couple hours for them to repair it. I was the only one waiting for a car, so I got two whole hours of uninterrupted knitting time. At the end, they said they fixed the sensor, but they couldn't get the check engine light to go off, so they wanted me to take it to Parker Toyota in Coeur de Alene because they had more sophisticated computer equipment that could tell them more about what is wrong.

As soon as I got home I called Toyota. Appointments are two weeks out, so they are doing a booming business, which actually makes me happy because we've done a lot of business with them and they are good guys. (In fact, I waited for over a year for them to get a used Prius in that I would want, but the things are so popular that whenever they got one, it would sell before I could get there.)

Today was appointment day. I had 3 blissful hours of uninterrupted knitting time while I waited to find out exactly what is wrong, and if it can be fixed. Sure enough, it's the air flow sensor system. It needs to be replaced. Now, I thought that was what Auto Credits repair garage did, but apparently not. Anyway, Auto Credit has authorized the repair, the parts have been ordered, and hopefully everything will be fixed next Tuesday at my appointment.

While I was there, I ordered a new set of the rubber strips that got blown off my car in the automatic car wash. That was an interesting tale. After I checked my Pearl in, I asked 'Bob' if I could tell him a story. I said, "the day after I bought the car, I took it to a car wash. I went to a new car wash in Post..."

Bob blurted out "Metro in Post Falls!" I said, "Yeah! I see you've heard of them!" He said "Yeah! Their dryer keeps blowing parts off of peoples cars. They need to fix that thing!" I burst out laughing and asked him how to order my missing parts. He sent me to their parts department. Anyway, I've ordered replacements, plus two other little things that are missing on my car. One is the rubber pedal cover for the emergency brake, and a broken cup holder that fits in the dash. She'll be almost like new by this time next Tuesday.

We are in a heat wave. It was so hot today, I was glad I got to spend a good part of it in air conditioned comfort. 

It was beautiful most of last week, and the week before, for that matter. I got lots of knitting done out on the deck, enjoying the cool breezes and the scent of peonies on the air. I mean done too! I finished everything I've been working on, so there'll be a couple more posts about finished knitting. Hurray!

No wild fires yet. I'm luvin' it!

Live long and prosper. \\//





No comments:

Post a Comment