"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

5/20/22

Check Mate Fairisle Hat

A finished project. Hurray!


Pattern
: Patons Check Mate Fairisle Hat

Size: Mens

Yarn: Caron Simply Soft
Content: 100% Acrylic, worsted weight
Color: Tan

Yarn: Red Heart Super Saver
Content: 100% Acrylic, worsted weight
Color: Navy Blue

Needles: Circular size 8

Started: May 4, 2022
Finished: May 17, 2022

Comments: The hat, of course, is way too big for my little Styrofoam head, but you get the idea how it'll look worn. This is a simple free pattern that was a lot of fun to knit. I used a size larger needles because I've been knitting tight of late. I like to match gauge.



This is going to KnitWits. We have enough layette sets, and are in serious need of mens hats. I have been waiting for this opportunity for a long time. I love making hats. It's a quick way to try new knitting techniques and stitches.

This is the top of the hat.



And this is a close up of the stitch pattern.



I plan to make another one in grey, black, and red.



I have started the next hat. I'm about halfway through it. I'm using the leftovers from the above hat. It's done in Mosaic stitch, which was invented by Barbara G. Walker. I've never knit the technique before. It's been pretty easy.

This is my flowering Cherry at peak bloom.



It's loaded with several kinds of bees just having a grand time gathering pollen, and a couple of male hummingbirds too. At least, when it's not raining. My flowering Plum opened a couple days ago. Waiting for some sun to take pics. Should get some over the weekend.

We've had a lot of rain this month. We went from about 80% normal snow pack to 129% in just a few weeks. We have had unseasonably cool weather. Longest length of time under 70F degrees. I am okay with that, though. We really needed the precipitation, being there's been a drought for a few years in this area. I hope the extra moisture will help keep fire danger down come late summer.

Live long and prosper. \\//

No comments:

Post a Comment