"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

2/27/22

Knitting Chickens Tote

I have been sharing my knitting time. I took some sewing time this past week, after finishing the kep. I've been wanting to get this done since Thanksgiving. I have a friend who knits who doesn't have a knitting bag. She carries her knitting in a pink plastic shopping bag. She did something sweet for me last year and I've been wanting to make her a bag ever since. Originally I was going to use a pattern and a collection of fat quarters that I bought in a shop in Leavenworth, Washington. She was with me at the time and loved the colors so much. Then, after we got back from Mexico, I saw this fabric. Totally different colorway, but I couldn't resist knitting chickens, for my bagless friend has chickens. The pattern I used is a free one here on the internet. So, here's the bag I made.



The Knitting Chickens Tote

Pattern: Fat Quarter Tote Bag by Lindsay Wilkes

Fabric: Timeless Treasures Knitting Chickens Grey (Quilting Cotton), an assortment of cotton Fat Quarters, and a Knit Stitch print that I can't remember where I got it because it's been years.


Started: February 23, 2022
Finished: February 26, 2022

Comments: I made 2 changes in this pattern. First, I put interfacing on the knitting chicken fabric. It was going to be so limp without it. Second, I put a fabric yo-yo with chicken button on both sides. I wish I'd put interfacing on the black polka dot fabric too. Not sure why I didn't.

So, here's a close up of that wonderful Chickens Knitting fabric.



I noticed some of them are wearing black and white polka dot pants. So I had to use black and white polka dot fabric for the top.

One button with a yo-yo flower embellishment. I've never made the yoyo's before. So I learned something new. This one is the front side.



This one is on the back side. I found the buttons at my local Jo-anns. They have them on Amazon though. Just click on the link up above.


This is the lining fabric.



For the life of me, I can't remember where I got it. A Google search did not produce it either, so it's obviously out of print. I'm an obsessed knitter, so I glom on to stuff like this when I run across it.



My sewing skills are improving. I managed to sew straight lines throughout the whole project and even when doing the top stitching. In fact, when I top stitched around the top edge, I didn't have to stop, tear out, and resew any of it. It went smoothly all the way around. I was so excited about it I had to prance around the room in celebration. Anyway, I'm hoping to give this away tomorrow when I go to knitting at the library. Keeping my fingers crossed she shows up.

Live long and prosper. \\//




No comments:

Post a Comment