"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

2/23/22

A Kep For My Husband

 On Sunday I finished the following hat. It is an anniversary present for my husband. I was trying to remember the last time I knit him a hat, and I had to admit it's been decades (mid 90's to be exact). Our 40th wedding anniversary was Monday, and that's when I gave it to him. We also went out to dinner (his present to me. Yay! I didn't have to cook!). He likes it and is wearing it when going out side, which is a good thing because the unseasonably warm weather we've had the last 3 week or so has ended. It was 8F degrees this morning when I got up. B-r-r-r-r.

A Kep for Doug

PatternFair Isle Fisherman's Kep by Anne Sinclair
Size: Mans Large

Yarn: Mayflower Class 1 Sock
Content: 75% washable wool/25% Nylon, fingering weight
Colors: 07 Jellybean Green, 09 Mandarin Orange

 Yarn: KnitPicks Stroll
Content: 75% Fine Superwash Wool/25% Nylon, fingering weight
Colors: Sapphire Heather, Hollyberry, Dandelion

Yarn: Garnstudio DROPS Fabel
Content: 75% washable wool/25% Nylon, fingering weight
Color: 100 Off White

Needles: Circular size 3 and 4

Started: January 13, 2022
Finished: February 20, 2022

Comments: I sort of followed the colors in one of the hats on the cover of the pattern because I thought Doug would like it. I also used a full one size up for the needles so it would fit him. It worked pretty good, without being too loose and sacrificing warmth.

Because I know knitters like this: the inside. I am so proud of myself. My float tension is getting better and better. I wove the floats about every 3 stitches. I don't like long floats.



Close up of stitch patterns. All of these were in the pattern.



A variety of traditional Fairisle Island stitch patterns are provided. You have to decide which ones you're going to use. If you don't like any of them, go find what you do like.



I took all these photos on my ironing board in front of the dining room window. There is a pile of hard frozen snow about 3 feet high blocking the table I usually use out on the deck, so no photos being taken there. Br-r-r-r-r... Light is a big problem this time of year. I suppose I could start using my little light box.



Hey! It's WIP Wednesday! Upon finishing the kep, I have started layette set number 57. Working with yellow, white, and grey. I'm down to the thumbs on the orange mittens. Haven't worked on them much since starting the kep.



I am still coughing. Not as bad as a month ago. I've been using my inhaler a lot more and it seems to be helping. I have an appointment with the lung doc in April. I am asking to get off the Gabapentin. It hasn't helped, so why take it any longer?

My daughter came down with Covid shortly after Doug returned from Mexico. She was sick for about a week and a half, but it was pretty mild. I have not come down with it. I'm hoping I stay that way.

Since getting back from Mexico I've been having problems with my ears. Usually do after a plane flight or two. In fact, what usually happens is the ears plug up from the elevation changes, I spend a few days hard of hearing, then everything pops open and life is fine. Every once in awhile they don't pop open. I got to the doctor, they look inside and tell me my ears are chock full of wax. They clean out my ears and life is fine. Not this time. Much to my surprise, the doctor did not find any wax in my ears. I have liquid behind my ear drums due to inflamed Eustachian tubes blocking the normal drainage of my ears. It should clear up in 3 or 4 months. If not, then surgery. Uggg. Here's hoping the tubes clear up because it's driving me crazy. It's driving the family crazy too cuz I turn the tv up so loud to hear it.

One more thing to share. Technically, two more things. Two of my orchids are blooming. If I'm remembering correctly, they are both Dendrobiums.



It's been so long since I've seen this one bloom I forgot what color it was. You'd think I would have remembered green. Nice to have flowers in the house during the winter.



I had a couple of Amaryllis bulbs that bloomed in January. Never got around to blogging about them. Oh well.

Live long and prosper. \\//


No comments:

Post a Comment