"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

10/8/21

Layette Set #56 for KnitWits

Turned this in today. I love how it turned out. It's so bright and happy.


Cardigan


PatternLittle Coffee Bean Cardigan by Elizabeth SmithSize: 3-6 months

Yarn: Yarn Bee Soft from Hobby Lobby
Content: 100% Acrylic, worsted weight
Colors: 40 Red, 98 Bright Blue, and 18 Haystack

Needles: Circular size 8

Started: August 3, 2021
Finished: August 31, 2021

Comments: I did 3 colors of stripes instead of 2.


Hat



Pattern: In my head. Not Published
Size: 3-6 months

Yarn: Yarn Bee Soft from Hobby Lobby
Content: 100% Acrylic, worsted weight
Colors: 40 Red, 98 Bright Blue, and 18 Haystack

Needles: Circular size 7

Started: August 24, 2021
Completed: August 28, 2021

Comment:  I wanted to put a pom-pom on top of the hat, but the yarn wouldn't work. I've never had that happen before. It refused to fluff together and make a ball at the center where it's tied. Couldn't even steam it into submission. I finally gave up cuz I was almost out of red yarn. I had just enough to make a curlicue. Easy to make. Cast on 20 stitches. First row: increase to 3 sts in each stitch by knitting in the front, the back, and then again in the front of the stitch. (Now have 60 sts). Bind off. It curls all by itself.

Booties


Pattern: In my head. Not Published
Size: 3-6 months

Yarn: Yarn Bee Soft from Hobby Lobby
Content: 100% Acrylic, worsted weight
Colors: 40 Red, 98 Bright Blue, and 18 Haystack

Needles: Circular size 7

Started: September 2, 2021
Completed: September 16, 2021

Blanket




Pattern: Triangle Edging from the blog Mataya Made

Size: 30 by 36 inches

Yarn: Yarn Bee Soft from Hobby Lobby
Content: 100% Acrylic, worsted weight
Colors: 40 Red, and 18 Haystack

Hook: Size G

Started: September 28, 2021
Completed: September 29, 2

Comment: A couple months ago one of the KnitWits members gave me a big bag of fleece to use for making blankets. This is the first blanket from that gift. She gave me some really cute prints, which  you'll see in the future.


 
So, Tuesday was our last 70F degree day of the year. Temperatures dropped into the 50's and we've had 2 nights of real frost. They're talking possible snow next week. I have to mourn. I enjoy warm weather so much. From here on out, I'm waiting for spring.

Decided on the next layette set. Blue. I have a piece of fabric that is white and blue plaid. Would make a cute boys set. I picked up some yarn at the KnitWits meeting, which, by the way, was awesome.

KnitWits has been suffering from the pandemic. When it started, our governor declared a 3 month lock down. So the senior center shut down, and, of course, we didn't meet those months. When things started opening up we had to wear masks at the meetings, which I completely understand. Very few people have been coming though, for months. Jan and I wondered if maybe the group has come to an end. I sent out an email last month, along with the newsletter, about how much we're struggling. We have less than half the inventory we would usually have by now. I asked to be emailed if they wanted to be removed from the membership roster. 

Well, we had lots of members at the meeting this week. It was wonderful. So many I hadn't seen in more than a year! I guess they just needed a little push. We are continuing the group. However, we're not distributing our finished items this year. There are a couple things that have come up which prevent us from doing that. We'll just have a head start on next year.

No more meetings this year either. Jan, our fearless leader, has to have knee surgery in November and then there's 3 months of recovery. We're going to leave her alone. Then in January we'll assess the situation and see if things can start back up. She keeps all our yarn at her house, so she'll need help getting it to the meetings, once she's well enough. I brought home enough yarn for two layette sets. So I'm set for the year.

I also have yarn for three personal projects I want to make. I guess I'm ready for winter.

Live long and prosper. \\//

No comments:

Post a Comment