"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

10/24/21

Finished Mittens

 Have a pair of mittens all done for KnitWits. I took the pics on my ironing board up against a window because it's a dark dreary wet cold day outside.

Little Garter Check Mens Mittens


PatternLittle Garter Checks Mens Mittens by Me

Size: Mens Large

Yarn: Mighty Stitch Worsted by KnitPicks
Content: 80% Acrylic/20% Wool, light worsted weight
Colors: Bark

Needles: Circular size 5

Started: October 5, 2021
Finished: October 18, 2021

Comment: After all the fairisle knitting I've been doing, these were pretty easy to make.

The front and back look the same.



Nice close up of the stitch pattern.



Found something so cool on eBay. 



I got to wondering if there are mitten blockers, like sock blockers, except for mittens. I did a Google search and there is a ton of them. 



Most are on Etsy and rather expensive, but I found these for a very reasonable price on eBay, so I bought them. I think they're adult size medium after measuring them. It doesn't say on the package and the seller didn't know. They're made of wood. Obviously, the thumbs are removeable. Now I can throw out the cardboard ones that I made. They work great! I used them on the above mittens.

My terribly sprained thumb is healing. I was able to bend it for the first time this last week. 



It was feeling awful and throbbing one day, and the next it felt much better and I can bend it. Not all the way yet, but it's progressing nicely a little more each day. Wearing a thumb stabilizer has definitely helped. I've found some physical therapy type exercises I can do to help the flexibility to come back.

Since my thumb is feeling much better, I let myself do a little cross stitch over this weekend. Just a little. Not enough to make things worse, thumbwise. Here's where I'm at on the bicycle pic.



I've got to have a knitting project going or I'll go crazy, so, since it's the only thing I haven't finished yet (that I'm interested in getting done- heh heh), I took the pseudo Argyle mittens with me to knitting on Thursday and worked on it.



It's slow going because my thumb wasn't the only thing sprained. My right ring finger has trigger finger, which is painful when working with small needles. I can knit with it, but the going must be done carefully.

I've also been getting ready to start some Christmas knitting. I've acquired some yarn to make the son-in-law a new pair of socks, and I'm making the dog a new sweater. I'm taking a break from layette sets to get that done.



Live long and prosper. \\//


No comments:

Post a Comment