"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

5/4/21

Layette Set #53

 Another layette set done for KnitWits.



Cardigan



Pattern: I didn't use one. Just kind of made it up as I went. I hope I took enough notes to reproduce it.

Size: 3-6 months

Yarn: Big Twist
Content: 100% Acrylic, worsted weight
Color: White

Yarn: Red Heart Super Saver
Content: 100% Acrylic, worsted weight
Color: Buff

Yarn: I Love This Yarn
Content: 100% Acrylic, worsted weight
Color: Black

Needles: Circular size 5 and 7

Started: April 7, 2021
Finished: April 18, 2021

Comments: I really love the color combination. I was kind of disturbed by how much black there was on the front though. I felt the need to put something in it. I came up with the idea of cutting 3 inches off the blanket fabric which makes the blanket 33 inches long instead of 36.



There was a whole dog in that 3 inches, so I cut it out and made an applique'. I put some fusible interfacing on the back to stabilize it. Then I used two strands split from the black yarn and the blanket stitch to sew it on. It was exactly what that vast expanse of black needed. 

I also found the perfect buttons in my stash. I'd like to point out that I sew the buttons on with the yarn I knitted with. In this case, I used the Buff. It's a 4 strand yarn. I separate out 2 of the strands and use that for sewing. I have found the yarn will go through the eye of a size 12 cross stitch needle which goes through the button holes just fine.

Hat


 
Pattern: In my head. 

Size: 3-6 months

Yarn: Big Twist
Content: 100% Acrylic, worsted weight
Color: White

Yarn: Red Heart Super Saver
Content: 100% Acrylic, worsted weight
Color: Buff

Yarn: I Love This Yarn
Content: 100% Acrylic, worsted weight
Color: Black

Needles: Circular 7

Started: April 19, 2021
Finished: April 19, 2021

Comments: I pretty much have a standard hat pattern in my head now that I use and vary as I like. You'll find it in my free pattern Polka Dot Baby Set.

Booties


Pattern: In my head. 

Size: 3-6 months

Yarn: Big Twist
Content: 100% Acrylic, worsted weight
Color: White

Yarn: Red Heart Super Saver
Content: 100% Acrylic, worsted weight
Color: Buff

Yarn: I Love This Yarn
Content: 100% Acrylic, worsted weight
Color: Black

Needles: Circular 7

Started: May 2, 2021
Finished: May 3, 2021

Comments: I could say the same thing about the bootie pattern as I did the hat. It's in my head and I use and vary as I like. You'll find it in my free pattern Polka Dot Baby Set.

Blanket


Pattern: In my head. 

Size: 30 by 33 inches

Yarn: Big Twist
Content: 100% Acrylic, worsted weight
Color: White

Hook: Size G/4.5mm

Started: May 3, 2021
Finished: May 3, 2021

Comments: I only used one color of yarn for this edging. I kept it simple. Just double crochets separated by a chain 1.

I'm done with this fabric now. The next two sets will be based on a new fabric.


I've got KnitWits tomorrow, so I'll be turning the set in. In the meantime, I have been working on a pair of Norwegian mittens. It's going pretty well.


More about that at a later time.

Live long and prosper. \\//


No comments:

Post a Comment