"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

10/12/20

The Simple Woman's Daybook - October 12, 2020


For Today




Looking out my window

It is decidedly autumnish out there. Half the leaves have blown off the flowering plum and it's dark and raining out.

I am thinking

Summer went way too fast. It's just not long enough here. When we lived in the San Francisco bay area, the thing I loved the most was how long spring and summer were. Winter was so nice and short.

I am thankful

I don't live further north. I think I would be miserable in Alaska. I'm just not a winter kind of person. I've always dreamed of living in Hawaii. I've been there 3 times and I love it.

One of my favorite things


Garlic peeler. Unfortunately, mine is broken/torn. I found it that way in the kitchen drawer over the weekend. I shouldn't complain. It lasted way longer than the last one. I was amazed how well this thing works the first time I saw one. You put your cloves of unpeeled garlic inside, press down, and roll it on the counter. The peeling comes right off. It's made of silicone, so if there's a sharp edge nearby, it will probably end up sliced one way or another. I think that's what happened in the drawer. I need to get a new one.

I am creating

The cardigan for Layette set #49 is under way. I figured out how to deal with running out of black yarn.


I just put a little red in. I put red at the hem and neck so it looks like it's supposed to be this way. Then I put 4 rows of red garter stitch in where the held sts on stitch holders are put back on the needles. That way the color difference in black yarns doesn't show. I had to worry about shininess and thickness as well as color. The original black has little to no shine in it and is rather thick; more aran than knitting worsted weight. I found two leftover balls of yarn in the stash that will work. I think I am pretty lucky finding them.

I am wearing

Black pants and a black and red button down blouse with 3/4 length sleeves. The blouse is one of my favorites.

I am reading (read) /watching (watched) / listening to

The Closer, on the television. I miss this show. Glad it's being played on one of the cable channels right now, though no new episodes are being made.

I am hoping

the new C-PAP machine works for me. I've had 4 nights with it now. It's going to take some time getting used to it. It's not the noise. The thing is surprisingly quiet. It's the apparatus itself, wrapped around my head and pressing against my face. It is uncomfortable.

I am learning

how to use the C-PAP machine. It's kind of a cool little gizmo. It has a built in humidifier, and a tube heater that warms the mist and tube attached to the mask. I learned what happens if it runs out of water during the night. Pretty much nothing but a funny smell. I woke up to use the bathroom and smelled a warm plastic smell. I checked the water tank and it was empty. It's easy to fell. It only holds about a cup of water. It lasted 2 nights the first time. Only 1 night the next time. Probably because I turned the humidity up one notch. My nose was feeling very dried out. Not enough humidity.

In my kitchen

it's been frustrating for me. Hubster was diagnosed with Diabetes a couple weeks ago. Figuring out meals has turned into a bit of a nightmare. Life without pasta and potatoes is no life in my opinion. Especially since I'm not the one with the problem. I've been making meals without them, and I'm feeling rather resentful about the whole thing. I have no idea how to deal with this situation. I also have no idea what I'm making for dinner tonight. He was given a booklet with meal plans but their suggestions were absolutely horrible, Blah, lifeless things. What about flavor?

In my garden

I've been trying to grow stuff in the flower bed across the front of the house ever since we moved here in 1992. The soil is gravel. I've not had much luck with it. Three years ago I read about Daylilies. Apparently they'll grow just about everywhere. I got a catalogue from a well recommended dealer, ordered a bunch of bulbs and planted them that fall. The next year nothing sprouted. Not one darn bulb. I planted some annuals for the year and went back to looking. I decided to try Peonies. I bought 3 and planted them. The next spring the Peonies sprouted and even had a couple flowers. Hurrah! Success! So this spring I purchased a package of Peony rhizomes. I went out to plant them and noticed ---- the Daylilies sprouted. All of them! The plants are small babies, but they're growing. One has actually bloomed. Behold!



Board room

This refers to Pinterest boards. We're to share one of our favorite pins. So, here's one. Cinderella Red.


This is a ball jointed doll that I want very much. I was just about to order it when husband lost his job. I was told no new dolls unless I earned the money for them. At the time I was teaching knitting at a local yarn shop. I started saving the money I was earning. Then, suddenly, the shop went out of business. I only had half the money saved up and no idea how I was gonna earn more. Then, to add salt to the wound, the doll sold out. So, even if I got the money, she's no longer available. I've been searching for a used one, but no luck so far.


Post Script
Supposed to share a link here. I'm sharing the one to my pattern blog. I have a bunch of free patterns I've written.


Shared Quote
{share a favorite quote}
 
This is a quote I've found to be totally true from Elizabeth Zimmerman, a famous knitter. "Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." 

Closing Notes

If you want to join the Simple Woman's Daybook, click HERE.

Live long and prosper. \\//

No comments:

Post a Comment