"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

6/12/20

WIP Report

As promised, a WIP report. I finished the knitting for the cardigan



and the hat.



Just need to finish the booties and blanket. I've also finished the body of the snow set.



I cast on for the first sleeve, twice. I had trouble understanding the instructions until it dawned on me it's supposed to be knit in the round. Suddenly, it makes more sense. So, I've frogged it again and started over. It's correct now.

Drops patterns (patterns by the Drops yarn company) are what I call bare minimum patterns. The bare minimum of instructions are written, and not always in standard notation, so you need to be an experienced knitter who understands how knit garments are constructed to do them. Even then they can be hard to understand. With this particular pattern, it is clear to me it's been translated from Norwegian into English, and lost a bit on the way.

Speaking of being on the way. At the beginning of the year I decided I was going to make a fairisle sweater in fingering weight yarn for myself in my continuing quest to master fairisle knitting. I chose my pattern, and ordered yarn.

I had been seeing ads on the internet for the Hobbii yarn company, which is located in Denmark. I decided to try them out because the prices are so good. I ordered some sock yarn first. It arrived in 3 weeks and I'm very very pleased with the quality of the yarn, so I decided I was going to order the yarn for my fairisle sweater from them. I chose their Universe variegated yarn for one of the two yarns, which is on sale as a clearance yarn. I fell in love with color number 08 which is purples, pinks, and coral/salmon colors.

Universe 08

However, when I ordered it, I accidentally ordered 18, which is similar but without the coral/salmon.

Universe 18


When my order arrived I was kind of horrified at what I'd done. I logged on and went to the site immediately to order the color I actually want, but to my dismay they were out of it, no chance of getting it because it's a clearance yarn. So I resigned myself to using what I had.

A couple weeks before the Covid 19 Stay at Home order was issued by our governor, I happened to get in contact with someone in the customer service department of Hobbii and told him of my plight. I asked if he knew of any way I could get the color I wanted. Well, a couple weeks later I got a notice they had more Universe in stock, including color number 8. YAY! I ordered it right away. They shipped it to me the next day, it arrived in US customs a few days later and has been there ever sense.

I received na email from Hobbii this week letting me know that it is taking up to 8 weeks for orders to get through customs. So my plans to have the fairisle sweater done before the North Idaho Fair are shot down. Oh well. Best laid plans and all that. I have to say, though, that I've never had as good service from a yarn company than I have with Hobbii. They reordered a yarn they wanted to clear out so I could get my color. That's really something. Hobbii.com

Live long and prosper. \\//

No comments:

Post a Comment