"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

3/23/20

What I Did During The Great Pandemic Of 2020

So, here we are. Cooped up in our homes for an unknown length of time. I had hoped nothing like this would happen in my lifetime. It's all very scary for me. The first three days of staying home and watching all of my knitting group meetings being cancelled was pretty traumatic. I was an anxiety/panic attack basket case. I couldn't even knit. So I played games on my phone, cried a lot, and felt miserable. Eventually, though, I started to climb out of the black hole.

What am I doing during this dangerous and trying time now? Knitting. What else. And missing my knitting friends.

I've finished the knitting on the Crazed Scandinavian Cowl.



It's still on the needles because the instructions say leave it on while I work in ends, and steam block. Then I will be grafting the two ends together. I like it. It's a bit heavier than I expected, but that just means it will be nice and warm.



I made some progress on the mitten. I did this over the weekend outside. It was warm and sunny and perfect knitting weather. I put a chaise lounge out on the lawn and sat there instead of on the deck because the deck still had a huge amount of snow on it, which made sitting chilly-sunshine or not. The snow is officially melted off today, but the temperature out is considerably lower. It's cloudy and getting cloudier. Rain and snow are on the way.

Last night, I started my first Kep, which is a traditional hat from the Fair-isle Islands.



I don't think I've mentioned this here. A few weeks ago I discovered a group on Facebook, The Fair Isle Fisherman's Kep Page. This groups sole purpose is devoted to the above pattern, written by Anne Sinclair, which can be purchased only through the group. The pattern sales go toward the George Waterston Memorial Centre and Museum in Fair Isle, Shetland. I repeat, it can only be purchased via the Facebook group. You can't even purchase it directly from the museums web site.

Now, I would think having this pattern for sale in Ravelry and other places on the internet would be much more profitable, so having to join this group in order to purchase the pattern kind of mystifies me. It's the way they've got it set up though. If you want to join the group, you will be required to answer three questions and then read the rules if membership is approved. Then you can order the pattern, which is a bit of a process also, but not too bad. I got my pattern last month. I wanted to finish the cowl knitting before I started it.

I decided to use leftover Palette yarn from the Harriet's hat I made last month. I traded out the bright pink for some lime green though. Daughter Ruth just happened to have some. It's going to be a fun knit.

I had to do a bit of figuring because the pattern comes with several different charts to use. You have to plan out your hat. After I got done planning, I cast on. I did the first 5 rows, then took the above picture to post in the group. I couldn't sleep last night, so I knit in bed until 3 am. So there's a few more rows done. I plan to work on it tonight.

I don't know when I'll steam the cowl. Some time in the next few days, I suppose. Gotta clean a bunch of stuff off the dining room/crafting table to make room for the blocking board.

In the meantime, if sweet hubby and I don't kill each other during this time of house arrest, I'll be surprised. Just sayin'.

Live long and prosper. \\//   And stay well.

2 comments:

  1. Been missing you and all the rest of the ladies. Haven't picked up a needle or a hook. Working on sewing masks for healthcare workers, first sewing in a long time. Hope Calypso is doing OK.

    ReplyDelete