"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman


Welts and Cuffs

I spent the whole weekend working on Margaret Tudor. The bottom welts and cuffs are made by picking up stitches along the bottom edges. I had to calculate how many to pick up for the welts.

The number to pick up in the pattern is less than the number of stitches that were cast on. I figured out it was 25.7% less stitches. So I added up the total number I'd cast on for my increase in size and subtracted 25.7% from it. I was left with 227. That is a butt load of stitches to pick up, but we're working with fingering weight yarn, size 2 needles, and a wide frame body.

It's an interesting stitch pattern. Lots and lots of little bobbles. It's a good thing I don't mind knitting them.

I was pretty worried I'd done it wrong but when I finished that first welt, it laid perfectly. The pattern said it mustn't pull in or flay out. It lays straight down, just like it's supposed to. I'm happy with it.

I cast on the same number of stitches in the pattern for the large size cuffs when I did the sleeves, so I didn't have to do any math. Just follow the directions.

Next I'm going to sew the buttons on. I figure it's going to be easier to do it before I sew everything together.

My eye surgery is the day after tomorrow. Don't know when I'll be able to blog after that. Hopefully, in just a couple days.

Live long and prosper. \\//

No comments:

Post a Comment