"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

8/24/19

Blocking Margaret

Thursday I got the dining room table cleaned off so I could put my blocking board on it. Our dining room table is my craft table now. I have a knitting room where my knitting machines, yarn, and other assorted items live but I like to watch tv while crafting, so I've taken to doing things on the dining room table. We hardly ever use it for eating anyway. I took photos as I blocked Margaret so you could see the difference.

Here's the pile of what turned out to be 18 pieces. The sweater has 16, but I have accidentally knit 2 center back panels, and there's the first rose panel I did that was too small.



I started with the lace rose panels. Unblocked they are tightly curled and the lace is messy.



I use blocking wires because it's so much easier to pin the pieces out with wires. I pinned the pieces out to the desired dimensions and steamed them, just like I do when blocking Acrylic. I steam block everything because that is what I was taught to do. It is how the garment industry blocks. It's so much quicker than getting everything sopping wet, laying it out, and waiting days for it to dry. The rose panels still curl some because they're mostly stockinette stitch, but you can see they are smoother and the lace is open and even.



Here is one of the side panels unblocked. It isn't smooth and even, the one side curls, and the scallops don't show.



Look at the difference after blocking! Smooth and even fabric and nice scallops on the side.



Isn't this stitch pattern gorgeous?



It took me 2 days to get it all blocked.  Here it is all done, except the two extra pieces. I thought about blocking the extra center panel, just in case, but I may need the yarn for the welt, cuffs, and neck band. Here's everything all nice and neat. Everything is so perfect.



All the pieces knit to the correct size. I've never had such perfect gauge before. It's a little discombobulating. The next step is sewing it together. I need to figure out how I'm going to do that.

I finished the baby blanket for the layette set that's at the fair, and I've finished the sweater for my dog, Zoey. I need to start something new. It feels weird not knitting. I enjoyed knitting Margaret so very much. The whole challenge was so much fun. I'm going to take on a couple more sweaters. I've decided to make my son-in-law a new pullover. I found a Berroco pattern named Milo that I think he'd love.



It has a simple textured stripe pattern that would be fun. It's done in knitting worsted so it will go much faster than Margaret for certain. I've decided the main color will be a dark forest green (Dark Horse Yarns Fantasy) and the other 3 colors will be royal blue (KnitPicks Mighty Stitch), deep wine (Dark Horse Yarns Fantasy), and a Fern green (KnitPicks Mighty Stitch). I have all the colors but the Fern in my stash so I only had to order the Fern. The yarns are acrylic/wool or nylon blend yarns so it'll be machine washable and easy to care for. They also feel so incredibly soft. Should feel like a soft hug when knit up. I wonder if I could get this done by Christmas.

There's another project that has been waiting for a few years now. My oldest daughter loves My Little Pony. I purchased a My Little Pony sweater pattern and a bunch of yarn ages ago to make for her.



It's a kids pattern, but I'm going to just knit a basic adult pullover and put the pony chart on it. This one will be a challenge because there's a considerable amount of plain stockinette stitch which is boring to me. I'd also be knitting Intarsia. It's been a long time since I've done any Intarsia knitting. Perhaps I will do the Yazi reward to get it done. I'd like to have it done in time for her birthday next April.

Anyway, as you can see, I've got projects on my mind to start. I also need to get another layette set going. I plan to start that tonight. I found the cutest Hedgehog fleece and a variegated yarn that will match it perfect.



I need a break from the orange and mint paisley.

Well, that's what's going on inside my brain.

Next week the husband goes back to school. He's got classes every day of the week. Daughter is starting her job too, so I'll get some home alone time. I get that rarely so I'm going to really enjoy it. I see lots of stitches in my future.

Live long and prosper. \\//

No comments:

Post a Comment