"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

8/15/18

Summer Update

As I said yesterday, It's been a busy summer. Here's an update.

The Ocean Spray we transplanted has died. Gonna try again.

My knee is healing, slowly. I have periods with no pain now. I've been getting Physical Therapy which is helping quite a bit.

We went on our annual week long camping trip to Priest Lake. It was a lot of fun. I did a lot of walking, which was hard on my sprained knee, but I think in the long run it was good for me. Despite the knee, I find I'm in much better physical shape than I've been in a long time. For instance, the walk from our camp site to the beach involves a steep hill. I've always had to huff and puff my way up it. This year I didn't huff and puff. That was a surprise.

One day we went on a hike up Lionshead Creek trail. I wanted to go up to my favorite place on this trail.

I forgot my main camera, but I had my phone with me. It took surprisingly good pictures. One of the granite peaks viewed from the parking lot of the trail.



I made it there! I haven't been able to do that hike in several years. It's all uphill to my destination but I managed it just fine. I admit, though, I did use my cane. Here's my favorite spot along Lionshead creek.

Lionshead Creek

 I was so excited when I got there I started to cry. I didn't think I'd ever see it again. Ruth took this pic of me and Zoey by the creek.



The hike aggravated my knee, but it was so worth it. Here is Sweet Hubby looking at one of the small pools made by the creek.


This is a view of the creek downhill. It's very steep so I didn't try to go down.



We hiked back to the truck. Then we went on a drive on the logging roads in the Idaho Panhandle National Forest. We went way up in the mountains where the Alpines grow. At one point we got a phone signal, so Sweet Hubby insisted we stop so he could check his email. We got out of the truck and explored the woods around us. There was a tall green plant loaded with green flowers that I'd never seen before. Ruth is standing next to it here. It's just a bit taller than she is.



It's called Indian Hellebore. It's a member of the Lily family. It has long droopy stems loaded with little bright green flowers.



Here's a close up. The flowers are about half an inch in diameter. The plant is very poisonous, so we were cautious around it.



We also found a patch of Huckleberries. They had a few ripe berries on them ,which we picked and I put them in a fruit salad for dinner that evening.



After we got home from our trip I got busy getting all the fair entries ready. The fair is next week.

My husband has officially been accepted to University Idaho. He will be working on a masters in computer science. Classes start next week, I think. Thankfully, he will be attending the Coeur d'Alene campus so we won't have to move. It will be weird having my husband going to school.

I did quite a bit of knitting while camping. I have finished layettes I want to post about, but I will have to wait until after the fair.

We are having very nice weather this week. Perfect temperatures for deck knitting, but the smoke from nearby forest fires is so thick I can't handle being in it for more than a few minutes.  Can't even see the mountains a mile away. My asthma is giving me all kinds of grief, so I'm staying indoors. A day or two of rain would be appreciated.

Our daughter, Ruth, is going back to school today. One last semester and then she'll graduate.

That's the news for now.

Live long and prosper. \\//

No comments:

Post a Comment