"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

11/9/11

WIP Wednesday November 9, 2011


How about a WIP Wednesday post for today? I've been working on the mitten pattern. I finished the hand part of the second mitten last night.



I finished the top differently than the first one. I wanted to see if I like a kitchener stitch finish, or the gathered finish. Here's how the two look.


I think I prefer the kitchener stitch finish. So that is what I'll put in the pattern. I should fix the gathered mitten so it matches the kitchener stich one. However, I hid the tail so well I can't figure out where it is to undo it. So I'm thinking about just leaving things as is and hoping no one notices.

I think I've found all the mistakes in the pattern I've written while test knitting it, but I'm not feeling real confident after what happened with the Rainbow for My Hands pattern. I really hate having errors in my patterns. Well, I hate errors in all patterns, but especially my own.

So, you may be wondering how I'm doing? Okay. Healing, slowly. I went out on Monday and did too much and paid for it on Tuesday.

First, I had my post-op appointment with the surgeon. He said they tested the items removed from me and there were no cancer cells or pre-cancer cells found. That is always good news. He also asked me if I knew how much my uterus weighed? (That, in fact, was the second thing he said to me after saying "Hello Linda.") Good heavens! I will never be able to live this down. I think my dismay must have showed on my face cuz he then went on to reassure me there was no way they could have known before the surgery that it was that large cuz the ultrasound didn't really show it. Sigh. Other than that, the appointment went well. I'm coming along nicely.

I do not need to be on hormone therapy even though my ovaries are gone now. I am not having hot flashes, so I am home free. The doctor thinks I was far enough through perimenopause that it's had no effect. I say, yay!

After that my daughter had an appointment with her counselor, so I sat in the waiting room for an hour waiting for her. I took my Nook along and read rather than knitting.

Then I went to the DMV office to renew the license on my car. It expired last month but in all the surgery fray I forgot to take care of it. I got lucky, there was NO LINE at the DMV. I was fully prepared to have to wait 2 hours. So that was a very nice surprise.

After that we went to Walmart for a few things. Our local Walmart is a huge superstore. So, even though I only needed a few things, they were at opposite ends of the store making for a lot more walking than I should have done. I was exhausted by the time we got back to the car, so we came home and I had a wee nap.

Tuesday I felt wretched. I ached from head to toe. Even my hair ached, and I felt sort of sickish. So I took it easy, except for the trip into Rathdrum to attend the Knitalong meeting at the library. I enjoyed it, but it sure wore me out. I took a nap when I got home.

Today I have an appointment at 2 to get my hair cut. It's the only thing I'm doing today, aside from puttering around the house. My hair looks so awful. I will be glad to get it snipped back into shape.


If you're interested in participating in WIP Wednesday, please join us.

Live long and prosper. \\//




Edit to Add:


I forgot to tell you how much my uterus weighed. 3.5 lbs. Yup. I lost 3.5 lbs having surgery. Actually, more, cuz that doesn't count the fallopian tubes, ovaries, cervix, and assorted sundry fibroid tumors floating around. Not a diet I would recommend though. It's rather painful.


3 comments:

  1. lovely mitten and I am very glad you are feeling better!

    so, how much did it weigh? nevermind, none of my business... ok tell me... no never mind too morbid...

    ReplyDelete
  2. salla: 3.5 pounds. It was a whopper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The mittens are nice! I won't tell about the difference! Glad to hear the surgery went well. You must learn to stop when you are feeling good (a lesson I learned the hard way). It's easy to go beyond. You will slowly get back to normal - just take it easy.

    ReplyDelete