"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

11/4/10

Something Knitters Need to Think About

Today I am teaching classes all day. At 11:30am is my weekly Knitting Clinic. I have actually been rather frustrated with this class because I hardly ever have students show up for it. I don't know why either. I've been told many times that I'm a wonderful teacher. Knitting Clinics were the most popular classes when I had my shop. I drive all the way into Coeur d'Alene for nothing. I've even thought about dropping it. However, I have a 'for sure' student today. So I will continue with it for now.

After Knit Clinic I'm teaching a class on Fingerless Mitts. I've got 2 registered students, and 2 possible shows who haven't registered. I don't really expect the possible shows. My experience is that it is extremely rare for someone to show up for a class if they haven't put money down on it in advance. If I had actually taught classes to all the people who have told me they are gonna be there, I'd be a rich woman. But, just in case, I'll be ready for them.

I don't think people understand how rude and inconsiderate it is to do that-say you're coming to a class and then don't show. Preparing to teach a class is a lot of work.

First I have to choose the subject to teach. I get a lot of input from people for that. That's easy. But then I have to find a pattern to teach it.

Sometimes I write up a pattern myself for the class. So I'm knitting something-trying different ideas and actually knitting them to see if the idea will work, writing it down as I go, typing up the instructions afterwards, then reknitting to make sure I got the pattern right. Then I print the patterns out. I need to know how many students I'm going to have so I print out enough. When I have 'possible shows' I print out copies for them too in case they are there. So if someone doesn't show, that's the expense of paper and ink that I get to say goodbye to.

Other times I use others patterns, which means I have to make sure the shop will have that pattern/book in stock so the students can buy it, or I contact the designer for permission to use and copy their pattern for teaching.

Along with a pattern I also have to plan how I'm going to instruct the students in the class. I have to plan for possible problems and questions that you may have so I can answer them. So I study the subject myself  beforehand, researching in my knitting books, magazines, and sometimes the internet. It's usually a couple hours at the least to many hours other times. That's time I'm taking so you can get an answer when you ask me a question.

After doing the research, I usually write up a hand out with important points, not just to help me remember what to teach, but so you can take it home and use it for reference yourself. That's some more time, not to mention paper and ink when I print it out.

That's a lot of time on my part to have someone change their mind and not show up, and not even have the courtesy to phone the shop and leave a message for me that you're not coming.

Please, don't tell a teacher you're going to be there unless you are actually going to be there.

Live long and prosper. \\//

4 down, 26 to go

No comments:

Post a Comment