"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

1/1/09

2009 Knitting I've Complete

Knitting projects I've completed in the year 2009





Openwork Shrug for Knitwits:

Pattern: Openwork Shrug by Charlotte Quiggle.
Yarn: Cotton by Fantacia (a vintage yarn)
Content: Cotton and Acrylic boucle'
Needles: Addi Turbo Circular size 9 and 10.
Size: Ladies small (45.5 inches long)
Cast on: November 3 , 2009
Bound off: December 26, 2009

Comments: The pattern is very easy to knit. It was a nice portable project to take places where I didn't want to think much (can you say chatting while knitting?). It's a pattern that works well with textured yarns. I did make a change in the sleeves. I seamed for 10 inches (instead of to the markers) because it seemed to fit better that way.


~~~~~~~~~~




Pattern: 93-8 Open Finger Mittens in Alpaca by DROPS Designs.
Yarn: Stitchjones Tribute Merino DK
Color: Angelica
Content: 100% Superwash Merino
Needles: Addi Turbo Circular size 3.
Size: Ladies Medium
Cast on: December 11, 2009
Bound off: December 19, 2009

Comments: I love the way this yarn pooled, and I'm very pleased that I managed to make the two gloves match, more or less. This yarn is nice to work with. The pattern is fairly well written, easy to knit. There is a basket weave pattern in the hand part. Although it doesn't show in the picture, it does show in real life.

~~~~~~~~~~




Little Cables Socks for Frank:

Pattern: Little Cables Socks by me
Yarn: Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock Solid
Color: Chocolate
Content: 80% Superwash wool/20% Nylon
Needles: Addi Turbo Circular size 2.
Size: Mens Medium (size 8 shoe)
Cast on: November 22, 2009
Bound off: December 8, 2009

Comments: I love this stitch pattern. It's very easy to remember, and works up very quickly. I did use a lace weight nylon yarn to reinforce the toes and heels. This pattern is available for free on my pattern blog.

~~~~~~~~~~


Scribble Scarf for Heidi:

Yarn: Recycled Silk by Himalaya Yarn and Kiddy Print Mohair by Laines du Nord
Color: SD-00 and Pink
Content: 100% silk and 80% Mohair/20% Polyamide
Needles: Addi Turbo Circular size 15.
Size: 6 inches wide by 6 feet long
Cast on: December 8, 2009
Bound off: December 19, 2009

Comments: Fast easy knit. All garter stitch, but the one row of contrasting novelty yarn every seventh row keeps it interesting.

I do not like working with the Recycled Silk yarn. For such an expensive yarn it is very stiff, coarse, and twisted too tight so it wants to curl up into loops. I probably won't work with this stuff again (which sucks cos I've got 5 more hanks of it-sigh)

~~~~~~~~~~



Citrus Yellow Bayerische Socks for me:

Pattern: Bayerische by Eunny Jang
Yarn: Fearless Fibers Superwash Merino Wool Sock Yarn
Color: Citrus
Needles: Addi Turbo Circular size 1.
Size: Ladies Medium (9 to 10 inch foot)
Cast on: July 23, 2009
Bound off: November 19, 2009

Comments: As one of my friends said to me, finishing these socks gives me braggin' rights. This was a very challenging pattern. Not for working on when you want to just knit and chat. (In other words, don't take it with you to knit club) I would not recommend it for beginners. I love it though. It's very well written and even though I found myself making stupid mistakes and frogging way too often, I enjoyed knitting it. I definitely have a passion for twisted cabled traveling stitch knitting.

~~~~~~~~~~

Baby Booties for Knitwits

Pattern: Free Seamless Baby Bootees by Megan Mills
Yarn: See each pic description
Needles: Size 3 Addi Turbo Circulars
Size: To fit 0-3 months.

Here are easy instructions for grafting the sole stitches as they end up when the knitting is finished. I got this info from Rav member Hellahelen's notes (she knit these bootees too):

1- Insert yarn as if to purl in first stitch of front needle, drop it of the needle.
2- insert yarn as if to knit in next stitch on front needle, leave it on the needle.
3- insert yarn as if to purl on first stitch on back needle, drop it off the needle.
4- insert yarn as if to knit in next stitch on back needle, leave it on the needle.
Repeat these 4 steps.




Yarn: Opal Petticoat color #1296
Content: 75% superwash Wool/ 25% Nylon
Cast on: September 30, 2009
Bound off: October 3, 2009

Comments: This is a fun pattern. Well written, easy to understand. By the way, this is the third project I've made with this skein of yarn. It's all gone now.




Yarn: Opal Solid in Kiwi Green
Content: 75% superwash Wool/ 25% Nylon
Cast On: October 6, 2009
Bound Off: October 9, 2009

Comments: I used a leftover bit of a ribbon novelty yarn chain stitched to make the ties. I had just enough of it to do that. If the ties had needed to be any longer I wouldn't have had enough.



Yarn: Unknown vintage Baby Pompadour in white with a silver grey thread.
Content: Acrylic and Nylon
Cast On: October 9, 2009
Bound Off: October 18, 2009

Comments: I did a 4x2 Garter rib for the cuff. Nice yarn to work with. I wish it had a label.



Yarn: Opal Petticoat 1292
Content: 75% superwash Wool/ 25% Nylon
Cast On: October 19, 2009
Bound Off: October 22, 2009

Comments: For this pair I did 2x2 rib in the cuff.



Yarn: Unknown vintage Baby Pompadour in white with a blue thread.
Content: Acrylic and Nylon
Cast On: October 23, 2009
Bound Off: November 1, 2009

Comments: Did 2x2 rib for the cuff. Used a plain blue fingering acrylic for the i-cord ties.


~~~~~~~~~~



Pattern: Mexican Waters Lattice by me
Yarn: Sock by Malabrigo
Needles: Addi Turbo Circular size 2.
Size: Ladies Medium (9 to 10 inch foot)
Cast on: January 18, 2009
Bound off: July 23, 2009

Comments:
They're knit from the top down on 2 circular needles. Would be easy to adjust to other methods though. The stitch pattern I used is Quilted Lattice from Barbara Walkers Treasury of Knitting Patterns Vol. 1. It's fairly easy to memorize and knits up fairly quickly.

I do want to make a comment on the yarn. This is probably the softest yarn I've ever made a pair of socks with. Time will tell if it holds up to the wear and tear that being my socks requires.

~~~~~~~~~~



Wedding Mitts for Sarah:
Pattern: Presto Mitts by Robbyn Kenyon
Yarn: Alpaca with a Twist by Fino in Champagne (#0098) knit with 2 strands held together.
Needles: Addi Turbo Circular size 2.
Size:
One size fits most
Cast on: June 15. 2009
Bound off: June 26, 2009

Comments: Pattern is well written and fun.

~~~~~~~~~~



Pattern: Fir Cone Triangular Shawl by Fruitcake Knits
Size: 64 inches wide, 33 inches long at center.
Yarn: Alpaca with a Twist by Fino in Champagne (#0098)
Needles: Addi Turbo Circular size 5.
Cast on: April 16, 2009
Bound off: June 16, 2009

Comments: This was a great pattern to do after not knitting lace for years and years. Simple, easy to memorize, works up beautifully. I'd recommend it for first time lace knitters. However, there are some mistakes in it. See my blog post on the project for more info.

The yarn is wonderful to work with. Very soft, doesn't split easily. I plan to use it again in a shawl some time.

~~~~~~~~~~



Something for Alma:
Pattern: Cardigan-b6-3 Cardigan and socks by DROPS design
Bonnet-b18-1 Bonnet and scarf by DROPS design
Yarn: Candy DK by King Cole Yarns in Cinder Toffee, ONline Linie 174 Pinto in Coral Pink.
Needles: Size 4 and 5 Addi Turbo Circulars.
Cast On: February 15, 2009

Completed: April 2, 2009

~~~~~~~~~~



Peaches and Grapes:
Pattern: Super Natural Stripes by Fawn Pea.
Yarn:
TLC Heather in Grapevine, and an unknown worsted acrylic yarn in pale peach.
Needles: Size 4 Addi Turbo Circulars.
Cast On: January 12, 200

Completed: February 14, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment