"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

12/15/07

Bracelet Swap

First, the big news. I finished knitting the hood for the lace cover up last night. Whoo hoo!!! Need to block it now, and find the instructions for the super stretchy bind off that I tried once and liked-argh. (Was that in the pattern for the Christmas garland I knitted 3 years ago? sigh)

In November I participated in an internet bead woven bracelet swap. The way it worked was we signed up, listing our favorite colors and the colors we hated, plus our wrist measurements. The Swap Mom then matched everyone up to a partner. When our bracelets were done, we sent them to Swap Mom, then she sent them on to the proper recipients. I had 2 partners, so I made 2 bracelets. I've been waiting until my partners got theirs before posting the pics I took of the bracelets. I didn't want to ruin the surprise for them.

As it turned out, one of my partners was Swap Mom. I think she did that cos we both love love love purple. That way we both get to bead something purple, and receive something purple.

This is a pattern I made up. I started with the Sidewinder pattern that was on the Howling Rabbit web site, which no longer exists. (I'm so glad I printed that pattern out.) It's basically a chevron stitch. I used that as my base, and went from there. I'm really pleased with the results. (I almost didn't send it in.) I used size 15 transparent purple seed beads and 4mm silver pearls.


My second swap partner mentioned she liked lilac and black, amongst other colors. So I put the two together, more or less, in this right angle weave bracelet. The pattern is in the August 2007 issue of Bead and Button magazine. The name of the pattern is 'Stripes Forever' and it's on page 110. I used dark bronze size 11 seed beads, satin finish lilac size 11 seed beads, and size 8 dark bronze drops.



I wanted to use a button for the clasp, but could not find one I liked. So I dug out the polymer clay and made one.


This is the second bead swap I've done. It's a lot of fun. I haven't received my bracelets yet, but I know they're on the way.

If you would like to see all the bracelets that were made for the swap, you can. Swap Mom took pics of them and made an online album. Click on the link:

Bracelet Swap 2007

Ruth is coming home for Christmas break today. She's bringing Lindy with her. I sure hope my fur kids remember her, and remember her fondly.

Have a great day.

1 comment:

  1. hey, Linda Jo---hope you read this-have fun on your cruise, ( is there room for me" ;>) ) Thanks again for my great bracelet-- I'm taking it to Las Vegas with me over the new year---so see--I'm going somewhere,too! ;>)))

    marilyn g

    ReplyDelete