"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

4/2/07

Another Hat

I did not go walking with Cindy and Jean this morning. My knee and ankle are still swollen from falling down the steps on Friday. It hurts too much to walk 2 miles. So I'm gonna give these two body parts some tender loving care. Ice Packs, Neosporin, painkillers, and later this evening a nice dose of Southern Comfort.

In the meantime, I am in a definite knitting mood. Don't feel like beading much at all, though I've got to finish a project I'll talk about in a bit. So I started another swirl hat for Knitwits. I'm using the leftovers of the terracotta yarn (this will be the 3rd project-from one 3.5 oz skein. I'm impressed!), some white, and a ball of Patons Twister, which is a novelty yarn. Didn't have enough of the terr and the white to make a whole hat, so added this for fun. This particular one has a strand of pink chenille with a strand of multicolored feather yarn wrapped around it. It's a little thick for size 8 needles, but I'm managing okay. The stripes are only 6 rows.

What I SHOULD be working on is my Alice Starmore sweater. If the sun comes out later, I'll take it out on the deck and work on it. For now, it's the hat.

My headache is slowly fading. That's a good thing. Of course, there's always the possibility that it's the same as it has been, but I'm not noticing it as much because of the throbbing ankle and knee. Ha ha.

About the beading project. Argh. I got a call from Gayle last week. Could I teach a class on the "Hearts in Swarovski" necklace? I had NO idea what she was talking about. Apparently one of my earlier students told her I'd said I'd teach a class on this if she could talk Gayle into it. Really had to sift the ol' brain cells for this one. Eventually, as Gayle kept talking, I remembered.

One of the students had a Firemountain Gems catalogue with a picture of this necklace collar done in a sort of basketweave stitch with twisted bugles. She's asked me if I knew how to do it. I distinctly remember telling her I'd never done the stitch before, but I could probably figure it out given enough time. From this she gets "I''d be glad to teach a class on it." Argh....what is the matter with people?

I dug out my Firemountain catalogue, found the picture she'd shown me, and I'm now in the process of figuring out how to make the darn thing. I've got the basketweave figured out. It's actually quite easy. I am having trouble motivating myself to finish it though. This is not something I would ever wear, or make for someone I know. In addition, I'm unable to find some of the necessary beads I need to make it. I will have to mail order them I suppose. The class is April 21, so I have some time.

My biggest question is: How does Gayle expect me to teach this when she doesn't carry the supplies needed for it? I've left her a message. She'll have to get the supplies in stock, or I'll be sending her customers to my friend Cindy's bead shop for them.

I'm going to go knit my hat now. I'll deal with the beads tomorrow, when I go to bead group.

1 comment: