"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

2/28/23

Slip Stitch Slippers

 Well, I decided to retake the pictures. I have a 16 gig micro card and a Sony Duo Pro adapter so I used the 'new' camera. I'm lovin' it.

I started this pair of slippers some time ago. Finished them last week, mostly because I was not enjoying working on them.



PatternSlip-Stitch Slippers by Nailya Plaskey

Size: Adult Large

Yarn: Missing Label
Content: 100% Acrylic, Worsted Weight
Color: Light Blue

Yarn: Missing Label
Content: 100% Acrylic, Worsted Weight
Color: White

Needles: Circular size 5

Started: November 4, 2022
Finished: February 13, 2023

Comments: I did not enjoy knitting this pattern. I would not recommend it for newish knitters.  It's not quite written correctly, making the instructions hard to understand. For instance, it says "Slip knitwise (yarn behind work)". Slipping a stitch knitwise means to put the needle into the stitch on the left needle as if to knit (pointing from front to back) and slip it to the right needle. This action will twist the stitch. That isn't what she wanted though. She wanted the stitch just slipped straight over, which is technically called slip stitch purlwise (putting the needle in from back to front). It confused me a bit. 

This is what the side looks like. You start these at the cuff and work toward the sole.



The language for doing the sole is confusing. When I got to the sole instructions, I was wishing for a picture of what the bottom of the slippers was supposed to look like. It would have cleared up a lot of confusion. So here's one for anyone else who finds themselves in the same situation. It's actually a clever way to create a sole so there are no seams to sew. (All these photos will be in my Ravelry Notebook.)



I should mention, there is a mistake. Where it says "Repeat Rows 40-41 until there are no stitches left besides 11stitches of sole"  It should be 13, not 11, because you need two edge stitches for making the border up the sides of the sole/heel. It should say "Repeat Rows 40-41 until there are 13 sts left. It's easier to understand, and more accurate.

One more thing. I got gauge with the suggested needle size, and these slippers turned out too small for a size "Large". Knitting with the 5's was hard on the hands. Mine hurt because it was just too dense/tight. It would be better with size 6 or 7 needles. The pattern says "Final dimensions: size S (US6-8) and L (US 9-11)." It doesn't give measurements, or whether it's for Ladies, or Men. There is no way this is gonna fit a size 9 woman's foot, which is what I wear, let along a man's size 9. They are pretty stretchy, but not that stretchy. 

Fix all those issues, and it would be much more enjoyable to knit. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.


We got whomped with snow last night. A good 6 inches fell. Not what I wanted to see. We've come to that time of year when everyone, including the snow lovers, are tired of it. Tired of the cold and the shoveling and the plowing and the snow blowing. We want spring!

One more thing. Zoey says "Hello". She's keeping warm in her sweater.

Live long and prosper. \\//








No comments:

Post a Comment