"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

12/6/22

Slippers

 I was perusing my Facebook feed when one of my friends posted a request for someone to make her mother some slippers for Christmas. She shared a picture of what kind she had in mind. Well, it was the Grandma's Slippers pattern that has been around all my life, and then some. So I made a pair for her.



Pattern: Grandma's Slippers by Mary Gaines

Size: Ladies Large

Yarn: Caron Jumbo Print
Content: 100% Acrylic, Worsted Weight
Color: Spicy Ombre

Needles: Circular size 11

Started: December 2, 2022
Finished: December 4, 2022

Comments: Lots of people have put their version of Grandma's Slippers on the internet. Unfortunately, I don't know who the original author was (I suspect it was some poor cave woman waiting for her man Grug to come home with a slayed Mammoth slung over his shoulder. J/K), but this pattern is the one I remember doing.

It's a very fast knit, and if I hadn't screwed them up, they would have been done the same day I started them.

I made a huge mistake with these slippers. I thought I'd picked out a set of 10.5 needles. The slippers came out way too big. I, in fact, had used size 11's. I did some 'fixing' by taking 4 rows off the back to shorten them a little. I think they'll fit the receiver okay.

I took this picture for the world. It had been decades since I made these (I think it was the early 90's last time I did them). I couldn't remember how to sewed them together. I searched high and low for just one picture of the back of someone's slippers. Ha! No such thing could be found. 

Back of Grandma's Slippers

Just one look at this and I would have known. I decided to whip stitch it together, and I got it right. It gave me an invisible seam. Whip stitch is best to use if you're putting two horizontal cast on or bind of edges together. Especially if the fabrics right side is purls or garter stitch.


I am very glad this project popped into my life. I did not knit much the last couple of weeks. I've been a little down, with the knitting mojo drifting away. The slippers cheered me up.

It is also that time of year that I hate, when it starts getting dark so early I'm turning on the lights at 3pm. the sun doesn't come in the living room window for the next couple months. There's a good reason why I don't live in Alaska.

We got a huge snow storm on November 30th. We got quite a few inches, ending with about 2 feet or so when it was done, counting the leftover snow from the previous storm. I took this picture in the morning shortly after I got up. The new storm dropped about an inch on the old snow. It had started snowing shortly before I got up.



It fell all.   day.   long. This is my barbeque grill later that evening. I took it to text to my daughter. She loves snow for some reason. Anyway, there will be no grilling for awhile, until I decide I want it bad enough to shovel that stuff away. In the meantime, one of those frigid too-cold-to-snow weather systems moved in. So it's been cold.



104 days until spring!

Live long and prosper. \\//


1 comment:

  1. I remember making those slippers in junior high school, in the early 70s! Yours are very cute. I’m sorry to tell you, but I love snow and winter, too.

    ReplyDelete