"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

10/1/22

Bear Progress

Finally, some time to blog. I am making slow progress on the Bear jacket.


I've finished the knitting on the back and two front pieces. I am absolutely positive I don't enjoy knitting Intarsia. Those darn bears are my Nemesis on this project. It took me 3 days just to do the right front one. If there's a mistake to be made, I've made them all at least once. I'm really surprised I haven't tossed the whole thing out the window. I keep carrying on though. I cast on for the first sleeve last night. I'm hoping I can get through this bear easier. Sheesh, I've made 4 of them. I should have this down by now. 

I am really loving the yarn, which is Lion Brand Heartland. It's so nice to knit with. My fingers are happy. They've added more colors to this line. There are 32 of them now.

Last Thursday it rained. I mean, really rained. We got a whole inch of it. It felt so good, and it cleaned the smoke out of the air. It's helped a bit with local wild fires too. Now we're to have a streak of warm fall sunshine. Temps are to be in the 70's for the next few days. Deck knitting! Yeah! (Assuming the smoke doesn't come back.) 

Speaking of the deck, I can't  believe it's October 1st, and we haven't had our first frost yet! We usually have it some time in August. Not this year. I've had extra time to enjoy the Marigolds in the boxes on my deck. Look how beautiful they are.


We're getting quite a few wild animals in the yard now. Turkeys and deer mostly. We had half a dozen Mountain Blue birds yesterday. It's been years since we've had any. When we first moved here (1992) we had tons of Blue birds. They lived here. In the summertime they would play in the sprinklers, and when it was moth season, the blue birds would pick them off the side of the house and eat them. It was very entertaining to watch them and their little antics. 

Then, in July 1995,we had a frightening freak storm (some say it was a tornado.) that blew down 70% of the trees around our house. Suddenly, our whole environment changed within about 15 minutes. Instead of shade all around us, it's been sunny. The rare endangered Lady Slipper plant growing down the hill died, and many wild animals that lived around us disappeared, including the Blue birds. It took several years for me not to get anxious when the wind started blowing. I hope to never experience something like that again.

Our forest is slowly returning. There are lots of young Black Pine and Firs around us. The Blue birds were checking out the bird house Doug built and put in the back yard. They only stayed for the day, and then they left.  Maybe they will return next year, and stay.

Speaking of birds, the Hummingbirds have left for South America. I miss them already. Sigh. Winter's coming.

Live long and prosper. \\//



No comments:

Post a Comment