"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

4/28/22

Could This Be The Answer?

 I saw the Asthma/Lung doctor yesterday about the cough. He asked me to tell him how I'm doing, so I told him, in great detail. I have 2 different coughs. There's the dry cough, which is an asthma attack. I grab the inhaler, and it goes away. And then there's the second cough. It's goopy, but not always. It usually gets started because there's a spot somewhere near my vocal chords that if food or drink touches it can start me coughing. Or talking always gets it going. There's this itchy stinging irritation that just doesn't go away. I cough at night, before I go to sleep. Goopy coughs with lots of phlegm. I've lost my singing voice and, in fact, have been hoarse for months and months.

Dr Cheng turned and looked at his computer screen. He said "You still taking Advair?" and then he said it. "Advair can cause a cough. The powder doesn't all go down the throat. It sticks to the back of the
throat and the vocal chords and it can cause irritation and a cough."  I know this. I've known it for a long time. About four months after the cough started, I was put on Advair, (after trying two other asthma meds that didn't work.) My asthma was out of control and we were trying to get it in the corral. 

After a couple months, my cough was getting worse. My regular doctor decided I needed a stronger dose, so upped it. It got worse. I asked him if the Advair itself could be the problem. He said no. That was in 2018 and I've been going to doctors and taking all kinds of tests and trying different meds ever since.

It makes so much sense. It was true my asthma got out of control. Prednisone stopped that, but still the cough. I have sleep apnea, but the cpap didn't stop the cough. It was true I had a sinus infection. Getting rid of it didn't get rid of the cough. I've been tested for everything popular, common, or obvious and none of it worked. (At least I don't have cancer.) It's time to start the not so obvious stuff. I'm starting a new med and I'm hoping this is the answer. I'm so damn tired of coughing.

Live long and prosper. \\//

No comments:

Post a Comment