"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

7/19/19

Mini Star Trek Update

With the North Idaho State Fair coming in just a few weeks, I thought I better finish my Mini Star Trek cross stitch project. I decided after getting the little characters done I'd put the famous words "To boldly go where no one has gone before" at the bottom. I declared it done Monday. Then I took a picture of it and posted it in a Facebook Cross Stitch group I am in. Everyone liked it, but one person said it needed the Enterprise in it. I thought about it and realized she was right, so Wednesday I stitched a couple little ones (found in the book Star Trek Cross Stitch) either side of the words. It added so much. Suddenly, the whole thing is perfect.



I've ordered the frame and mat. Should be here late next week. I'm getting a gold frame and a navy blue mat.

When my kids were young we used to frequently go for walks on the Parkarosa, mostly looking for wild flowers. I wish I had a good camera back then because we found some incredible beauties. Some of them were quite rare endangered species, a few which are gone now because their environment has changed due to everything just growing. For instance, there used to be a lot of California Cow Lily.

Yesterday I took a walk in the woods with my daughter, Ruth, and my dog, Zoey. along one trail I haven't been on in years. I took my camera. The trail has changed so much. It used to have small pines along it that are now 15 or more feet tall, so the trail is much shadier. No more Cow Lilies because they don't like shade. There are more wild apple trees and they are loaded with baby apples. There's also quite a bit of Everlasting Peas. Oh my gosh, they are such a beautiful shade of pink.



This one was hanging on a low branch of a young Ponderosa Pine. Oddly, these do not have the sweet odor that the domestic garden variety Sweet Peas have.



I love the detail of the veins in the petals.



One area used to be a field of wild clover. The clover is gone. That area is loaded with 10 to 12 foot pines and tons of snow berry bushes. Also quite a few of these tiny little pink flowers standing on very tall stems. It's the Mountain Pink, a member of the Dianthus family (also known as the Carnation family). Notice, the pollen is purple.



I like this picture.



They were growing in a fairly shady spot. They really stood out bright in the small rays of sun coming through the trees though.



I need to get myself to go on more walks. My knees are able to handle it now. More Parkarosa wild flowers to follow.

Live long and prosper. \\//




No comments:

Post a Comment