"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

3/5/17

Blue Rose Bud

We live in a mobile home built in the early 90's with vinyl wallpapered bathrooms cuz that is what was popular back then, so I'm stuck with it until we decide we want to spend the money to get rid of it. To be honest, I like it in the guest bathroom. It's a nice print of pink and blue leaves on a white background. I recently redecorated this bathroom with navy blue accessories. You know, shower curtain, window valance, towels, rug. Got rid of the pink now that the youngest is off to college. I decided I needed a navy blue rose bud toilet tissue cover. It required I use my crochet skills.




Pattern: Tissue Cover from Annie's Crochet Newsletter Jan/Feb 1992

Made For: My house.

Size: To fit a roll of toilet tissue

Yarn: Red Heart Super Saver
Content: 100% Acrylic
Colors: Navy, Frosty Green

Hook: Size H

Started: March 2, 2017
Finished: March 3, 2017

I like to have a spare roll of tissue sitting on the back of the toilet in case someone runs out and needs it. Toilet tissue covers were pretty popular in the 80's. I dusted off the H crochet hook, got a skein of navy blue, and dug out an old pattern. I'm surprised I could remember where I put it. It was right where I remember putting it too. A miracle, I assure you. The rose bud looks nice doing it's appointed duty.



This is the magazine the pattern is in.



I took a short walk down memory lane while digging it out of the cupboard. My mother-in-law, Naomi, introduced me to Annie's Attic publications, owned and operated by Annie Potter, back in the 80's. They had two publications that we both loved. Annie's Attic Pattern Club and Annie's Attic Crochet Newsletter. Crochet was pretty popular at that time and the patterns Annie's Attic produced were amazing.

In the early 2000's Annie's Attic was sold to DRG Publishing. They discontinued the magazines and took most of the patterns and books off the market because crochet was no longer as popular. Crochet is coming back now, so I expect they'll bring back some of those publications, but I doubt it will ever be as wonderful as the original Annie's Attic was. You can find some of the original Annie's Attic publications on Ebay.

Speaking of discontinuing, we had to make a traumatic change in the life of our little cat, Chenille, yesterday. She's thoroughly angry at me. The house is full of tension and a lot of yeowling, hissing, and whining as a result, but it had to be done.



Chenille is almost 15 years old. For years her domain has been on top of one of the 8 ft high bookshelves in the living room. We have a tall cat tree, about 5 feet high, that has been next to that shelf. Chenille would get up on the tree, then jump from there on top of the shelf. I put a little bed up there so she'd be comfortable. Well, she's aged enough now that she's having trouble getting back down. So much so that instead of getting down and using the litter box yesterday, we caught her pooping up there. Sweet hubby brought in our step ladder so I could get up there to clean up the mess and I discovered, to my horror, that it was not the first time. She's been laying on a layer of dried feces on her bed. Ugh! It has to be new behavior because I washed that bed before we went on the cruise. It explained why she's been rather odorous when wanting to sit in my lap the last couple weeks. This kind of thing can't go on so we moved the cat tree to the dining room and she can no longer get up there. I threw the little bed away. It was too disgusting to put in my washing machine.

She wandered around the house for hours meowing LOUDLY her distress and looking for a new place to call her domain. She hissed at the other fur kids if any got near her, and made everyone's life miserable so she wasn't suffering alone. She will adjust, in time. She's quiet today, so far, and is hunkered down on a towel on top my ironing board glaring at me. I think she'll be okay. I worry about her. She's not got much more time left on this earth.

Live long and prosper. \\//


No comments:

Post a Comment