"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

11/11/15

Simple Woman's Daybook for November 11, 2015

I haven't done a Simple Woman's Daybook post in ages. In fact, it's been more than 2 years. Time to get that back into my life!



FOR TODAY
November 11, 2015

Outside my window...
The sun is shining low in the sky as fluffy clouds float by. It will be setting in just a couple hours even though it's only just after 3pm here. I can see Rathdrum Bald mountain with it's first snow cap of the season.


I am thinking...
that I am proud of my daughter Ruth. She has decided she wants to go back to college and get a degree in Computer Science. She made this announcement after we got back from our trip to Michigan. I was totally bowled over with surprise! She is serious too. She applied to return to the University of Idaho for the spring semester. They have accepted her and she's been working on everything she needs to do to get ready. She registered for some of her classes, and finding out how to register for the rest (special circumstances apply) from her faculty adviser. I hope she finishes this time. I have a feeling she will because this time she really wants to do it.

I am thankful for...
the sun. Without it there could be no life on this beautiful planet we call our home.

From the kitchen...
silence. No one is in there right now.

I am wearing...
Blue jeans and a collared polo shirt with a bright hawaiian print on it of blue and teal tropical flowers. The shirt cheers me.

I am creating...
doll clothes. I am determined to make some new things for my Etsy store. I dragged out my fabric cutting tools, and cleaned off the dining room table so I can set things up to start cutting fabric. Along with the doll clothes, I'm also going to cut the fabric for a Christmas present I'm making for someone. I'm in the mood for making aprons!

I am going...
on our cruise in less than a month! I can hardly wait! I need to start thinking about what I am going to pack, including knitting.

I am reading...
two books, actually. I'm about halfway through the 5th tome of the Game of Thrones collection, A Dance With Dragons. I'm having a hard time keeping at it. The books have several very interesting story threads going through them but they are moving along so slowly that I'm losing interest. The writer puts so much tedious unnecessary detail into the writing that it slows everything down to a crawl. I know the stories don't end with this book, that there will be another one after it. 5 huge thick books so far, and nowhere near an end. You know, if this author wasn't such a wordy guy, the books would be about a 5th the size they are and I'd know what happened by now.

The second book I'm reading is The Martian by Andy Weir. I started reading it before we went to the movie. It's a very very good book. I think I will set aside A Dance With Dragons, and finish The Martian first.

I am hearing...
The theme music to Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix. I have Pandora playing on the Roku. Listening to my Sci Fi movie channel.


Around the house...
are definite signs I have fur kids. Bones and toys lying all over, blankets covering every chair and the couch. Fur balls drifting across the bamboo floor. Cable is asleep on her big huge bed I got at Costco. I've got a dryer full of fur kid blankets drying right now.

One of my favorite things...
is movie soundtracks. Being a formally taught violinist who has played in several orchestras in my past, I really enjoy classical orchestra music. I've found movie soundtracks to be our modern orchestral music. They have a lot of similar characteristics as symphonies, concertos and sonatas can have. I love listening to the harmonies and the blending of the instruments, and how each one contributes not only to the melodies and harmonies but to the rhythms as well. Music is used to generate emotions in us. Some of my most favorite composers, besides Beethoven, Mahler, Respighi, Handel, Mozart, and all the other 'greats', are John Williams, James Horner, Jerry Goldsmith, and Hans Zimmer. These are our generations classical composers. Listening to their music makes my soul sing.

A few plans for the rest of the week:
I have Yarnies tomorrow, and lunch with some friends on Friday. Somewhere in there I hope to get some sewing done, as well as getting some little sweaters knit. Come the weekend I will probably work on these things.

Here is a picture for thought I am sharing...
Today is Veterans Day.
Thank you to all the veterans who have served our country. This is a picture of my father when he was in the Army. If I remember correctly, it was taken in 1957. 


  
Live long and prosper. \\//

If you want to join the Simple Womans Daybook, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment