"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

3/7/12

WIP Wednesday 3/7/2012

It's WIP Wednesday. I took these pictures outside on the deck table. All that snow (2 feet worth) we got last week is almost gone. I got up this morning and it was sunny and clear. 11F degrees, but sunny. However, it's warming fast. By Friday it's supposed to be in the 50's. I call that deck knitting weather! I am so looking forward to it. Anyway, here's what I've been working on this week.

The yoke is almost done on the February Lady sweater. I've got about half an inch to go.



I have been rather perplexed by this project. I got gauge on the swatch, but I'm not getting it in the garment. I am, in fact, 2 sts per 4 inches too small. I did some calculations and it looks like it will fit despite that fact. I think I'm just going to continue on. I figure if it's off too much I will be able to block it out since there's the baby killing acrylic in it.

I wish the pattern had measurements in it instead of statements like "...knit garter stitch until, when you try on the sweater, the sleeves stitches almost meet under your arms." I hate that kind of thing. I'm not making this for me. The person I'm making it for lives 1000's of miles away from me. Just give us the ball park measurements for the sizes, please?! I'm gonna take a guess and hope I'm right.

As I mentioned yesterday, my friend, Ray, sent me a skein of yarn so I could develop another pattern for him. It's a skein of his sock yarn in the Lake Berry colorway. I'm going to do a fingerless mitt pattern. Here's what I've got so far. I've gone with a twisted slip stitch pattern because I think it will show up best on this highly contrasting yarn.

Back of hand

I've got what I'm calling Stacked Olives for the center of the "back of the hand" side, and a slip rib for the rest of the mitt. I do like the way the colors are striping.

Front of hand

Here's a picture I want to share that I took this morning in the back yard.



Spring is coming. I can even smell it in the air. It smells very good.

I can haz cookee, pweez?

One more thing. There was something white hanging on Cables back side. I grabbed it and it was a clump of her undercoat. She is starting to shed her winter coat. It's been a long time since I've had a dog that shed like this. Oh, the fur is soooo soft. I think I'll bag it after each brushing for future spinning.








If you're interested in participating in WIP Wednesday, please join us.


Live long and prosper. \\//

2 comments:

  1. I love your knitting! I wish I knew how to knit. I tried to teach myself once, but didn't do very well. I will have to try again sometime.

    Cable is such a gorgeous dog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could bag all the extra undercoat, spin it, and make a dog sweater. Bwhahaha!

    ReplyDelete