"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

9/14/11

WIP Wednesday 9/14/2011






This day is not going as planned what-so-ever. It started last night with Sweet Hubby informing me I had to stay home today because he'd ordered a new phone and someone had to be here to sign for it (it was FedExed overnight). I had plans! I was going to Yarnies. I also had an appointment for my monthly blood test and a few other errands to run. As much as I love Sweet Hubby, it really aggravates me to have him dismiss my 'life' so much that he can't even ask me first if or when I'll be home on a given day before scheduling me for something. I find it rather rude. Sigh.

Anyway, I have some WIPs to show you.

First of all is this headboard. I bought it from my friend Judy last year in the fall. I started stripping it then, but then the weather turned wet and cold so I put it away for the year.


2 weeks ago I got it out to finish it. It was horribly hot so I set up some shade to do it in.  I don't have a garage to do this kind of thing in when the weather is bad and there was no way I could do it in the house either.


I got it all stripped, sanded, and looking nice so last week I went and bought paint. But it was way too hot to paint. I tried priming it first but it was drying so fast! By the time I would stroke my brush from one side to the other, the beginning of the stroke would be dry. That will not work. Paint that dries too fast will peel rather soon. I want this stuff to stick for the rest of my life, so I put it on hold until things cooled off enough.

Today it is much cooler. Since I ended up being home anyway, I went ahead and primed the whole thing. I hope to start the actual paint tomorrow and if I have any luck at all, it will be done by the end of the weekend so I can start using it. I haven't had a headboard on my bed since I was single. I've wanted one all this time, but just never got around to it I suppose.

I am painting it with a matte dark purple. The color is the same as the purple on my droid phone cover. Not because I was dead set on having that exact shade of purple in my bedroom, but because when I said "I want a dark purple" to the fellow helping me out at the hardware store, he said "how dark?" and I, thrashing around for an example, pulled out my phone and said "Here, this will do." He matched the paint to the phone. It is very pretty. Should look nice on a headboard.

I have been beading. First of all I'm working on a necklace to hang the Star Donut pendant on that I made last year. I seem to still be in a Herringbone mood.


I have started a bracelet project that has been on my mind for some months. I bought the beads for it last June. It's about time I got it going. The first step toward my Honeycomb Bangle.


Just iris gold delicas in a tubular band so far. I was kind of surprised to find the pattern is free online. I found it in the April 2011 issue of Bead & Button magazine. It is the cover project.

Here is the current situation with the Chevron sweater.


I'm ready to decrease for the armholes. Or increase. I've got an idea I want to try out. Just haven't had a chance to sit down and work out the math yet.

Those are the WIPs for today. If you're interested in participating in WIP Wednesday, please join us.

Live long and prosper. \\//

 

2 comments:

  1. I have to laugh Linda, I have a headboard in my garage I've never finished either! And now I don't have a bed for it. LOL. All your wips look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always know a Yarn Harlot reader when I see someone say "embiggen"! Such a cool funny word. I really love both your beadwork & your knitting. I seem to be a serial crafter. One craft goes away & I pick up the next. But I love knitting and beadwork, too! This WIP is pretty impressive! Love that herringbone!

    ReplyDelete