"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

4/2/11

Day 6: Something to Aspire To


Something to aspire to

Is there a pattern or skill that you don’t yet feel ready to tackle but which you hope to (or think you can only dream of) tackling in the future, near or distant? Is there a skill or project that makes your mind boggle at the sheer time, dedication and mastery of the craft? Maybe the skill or pattern is one that you don’t even personally want to make but can stand back and admire those that do. Maybe it is something you think you will never be bothered to actually make bu can admire the result of those that have.

I'm making a confession. Now that I've done Entrelac, there really isn't any unknown knitting skill I feel like tackling in the future. I'm currently content with where I am. There really isn't a technique or pattern that I feel I can't do when it comes to knitting. I'm not saying I know it all because I'm sure I don't. I will continue to pick up new techniques and skills as the years go by, but I'm pretty certain I've hit all the major ones, and quite a few of the minor ones too.

That doesn't mean I don't have an aspiration in my knitting though. There is one thing I want to accomplish in the worst way. I want to write and publish at least one knitting book that becomes extremely popular.

I started a book shortly after I started this blog. I sat down and outlined what it would be about, how it would look, came up with more than two dozen design ideas, worked on it like gang busters for a few months, and then just stopped. I'll admit it, I got scared. I started making inquiries into the hows of getting it published and ended up feeling horribly overwhelmed and under skilled. When I feel overwhelmed, I start procrastinating. I'm an expert at procrastination when overwhelmed.

So, there sits my 'book', on top the file cabinet, in plain sight, waiting to be finished. Always niggling at my conscience, calling to me quietly "Hello! I'm over here! Please, come finish me?" But the fear of the unknown keeps me paralyzed. I wish I knew someone in the knitting book publishing industry who could/would help me. Sigh. In the meantime I am thrashing around trying to find something inside myself to give me the courage and desire to finish my book, if for no other reason than to say to myself I could do it. How do I get myself back at it?

Live long and prosper. \\//

1 comment:

  1. Do you have any favorite designers? Maybe you can ask them for help?

    ReplyDelete