"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

2/28/11

The Wind is Blowing

As I write this, the wind is trying to blow my house into Montana, and the snow is falling-more or less horizontally. Wait-maybe it's trying to blow the snow into Montana? Anyway, I'm a nervous wreck.

I used to love the sound of the wind in the trees. When I was a little girl we had a huge cedar tree in our back yard. During wind storms I would climb up to the top of that tree and ride in it as the wind blew it back and forth. Actually, I spent a lot of time in that tree, 150 feet up from the ground. I even hauled a couple two by fours, some nails, and a hammer up there and made myself a seat and a little shelf. I'd take a good book up there, along with a can of soda and a sandwich, and read for awhile. (I wonder what my mother thought of that?) It was peaceful, and the view was fantastic. I could see the Olympic Mountains, Mt. Rainier, Mt. Baker, Mt. Adams, Puget Sound and it's islands, and Mt. St. Helens from up there. As far as I know, the seat and shelf are still there.

Back to the subject, I loved wind, and then we had the big event on July 9,1995. In 10 minutes almost all 360 acres of the Parkarosa's beautiful pine trees were flattened by a storm. Some say it was a tornado, others say it was wind sheer. It was one of, if not the most, frightening things I've ever experienced. Now the wind makes me nervous.

Here is a pic of the swatch I made for St. Brigid, the Alice Starmore sweater I'm going to make.


The colors aren't right in this picture. It looks much darker in real life. I got gauge on the second try, with size 7 needles (size 6 was too small). I need to do some calculations to size up the sweater a bit (I iz undertall), and then I can cast on.

I worked on the Entrelac mitt last night. I think there's a mistake in the pattern. After the ribbing it says to knit 10 rows of plain stockinette, then start the Entrelac. I did that and it didn't look right. In fact, it looked downright weird. So I frogged back to the ribbing and started the Entrelac after just one row of stockinette. It looks much better now. There are way too many patterns out there with mistakes in them.

Tomorrow is my Blogiversary.

Live long and prosper. \\//

1 comment:

  1. Your wind experience sounds like what happened here in Ohio in 2008 when Hurricane Ike came through - six hours of hurricane-force winds. We lost trees and power for a week. I'm much more leery of weather after riding that one out. I used to love to climb trees, too. Fun memories (except for the hurricane)!

    ReplyDelete