"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

2/24/11

Violet Angel

I took some time to bead and got the little angel for the Italian beading class done.





She's so tiny.




I have some more pictures to share from our trip. As I mentioned yesterday, we drove around the Olympic Peninsula. This first one is taken on Kalaloch Beach. We used to go camping here every year during Christmas break when I was a kid. I have so many wonderful memories from this place.


This seagull had a lot to say to me. We had quite a conversation. He was letting me know that he wasn't interested in sharing his salmon carcass with me. I assured him I wasn't really interested in it.


We walked up the beach a little bit. We couldn't go very far because there was a humongous amount of driftwood (logs) piled up on it and the tide was in.



We took a small side trip into the Hoh Rainforest in the Olympic National Park. There was a sign that said "Large Spruce Tree". We stopped to see. Yup! That is one large Spruce tree! (see 6 foot 5 sweet hubby standing beside it) It was still living too. All the Sprucey greenery was way up high. The greenery you see here is moss. It grows on everything in the rainforest.


I thought having snow in a rainforest was a little----- weird.

We saw two herd of elk. These ones were snacking on pond slime and grass.


We did stop in a yarn shop on our trip. We initially drove by it. I said "A yarn shop!" Sweet hubby kept driving.

I said "Hey! Are you just gonna go right by it?!"

He said "Are you sure you want to stop?"

I shouted "Is the sky blue?! Is the grass green?! Do pigs oink?!" Geez! 29 years of marriage and he still doesn't get it????

He turned around and went back.

The shop is called Yarn and Darn Things. It was pretty small, but the owner was so friendly and sweet. We had a nice chat. I bought sock yarn. I got some Mini Mochie, A skein of Poems Socks, and 2 skeins of Berroco Comfort sock yarn, which is an acrylic/nylon blend. I am going to use the Mini Mochie for some Entrelac projects. It's time I learned how to do it since I'm getting asked questions about it now. I guess Entrelac is the 'in' thing for knitters now? At least, here in north Idaho anyway. Teacher needs to keep up with things.


I think the Berocco Sock would make some pretty hats. I don't think I'd like acrylic socks. I like the end view of the Poems Sock. There is a lot of colors in there.


 The weather turned nasty yesterday. It snowed like crazy, and the wind blew, making blizzard conditions. I went to Yarnies, before the storm arrived. I got to have a 'really fun' drive home. I spent an hour and a half on the freeway (when it would normally take 5 minutes) with gale force winds and white out conditions. Cars were sliding off into the ditch all over the place. It was a real relief to get home. We got about 7 - 8 inches of snow.

I did not go into Coeur d'Alene for my class this morning, and rescheduled my monthly blood test. The weather was so bad the United States Postal Service canceled mail delivery for the day. The police were begging people to stay home. I'm no fool. If the mail trucks can't even deliver the mail, I am not driving anywhere! I think this is the first time the mail was canceled due to weather in my life.

The sun is shining at the moment. We are still under a blizzard warning though. It's a short break before the next Snowpocalypse comes later this evening. Temps are going to drop into the negative numbers too. I will try to stay warm.

Live long and prosper. \\//

1 comment:

  1. Eek! Glad you got home safely! I think we got a little of your weather here in Ohio overnight. Heavy rain, then ice, then a couple inches of snow and blizzard conditions. All has quieted down now, thank goodness.

    Love the yarn you bought - what great colors! You'll get hooked on entrelac. It's great fun, especially with variegated yarn.

    ReplyDelete