"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

12/28/08

It's Raining!

Wow. I got up this morning and there was no new snow. In fact, it rained all night last night. It's actually above freezing today. I am SO relieved! Now, what to do about the lake in the front yard...

Sweet Hubby is up on the roof now shoveling off the remaining snow. He moved snow all day yesterday cos we got up to a foot of new stuff the night before. I have felt so bad for him cos his whole Christmas break has been about moving snow. He says he is ready to go back to work tomorrow.

While Sweet Hubby moved snow, I did house work, and knitted.


I made some very small progress on my Bayerische sock. The twisted rib section went fine. However, the first three rows of the stitch pattern is another story. I spend 3 hours on those first 3 rows. I kept screwing them up and having to tink back to fix. I'm hoping that after the first pattern repeat it gets easier. In the meantime, I'm gathering all the little things that help me in a situation like this and using them. The stitch markers have been a huge help, though I don't like using them with yarn and needles this small cos they can mess up my gauge. I will just have to be extra careful.

Word to the wise-this is not a pattern that can be worked on in a hurry. One MUST have a nice relaxing alcoholic drink (or 2 or 3) and absolutely NO distractions (like laundry to do, and furkids).

Because of the huge amount of new snow yesterday morning, the boys decided they weren't going outside anymore. I left the room and returned to pee and poo all over the dining room carpet. I lost it and screamed at them to "KENNEL UP!" A small miracle happened.

Kennel up means to go lie down in your bed. I've been working on Tommy for over 2 years to teach him that. I know how to train dogs. I have had dogs in my past who won awards for the tricks I trained them to do.

Morgan has always known what kennel up means. One time of showing him and handing him a cookie when he did it was all it took. Tommy, on the other hand, usually stands there with a vacant look on his face and a wagging tail. Never in my life have I met such a dumb dog. He just can't seem to learn things very well. So over and over, day after day, for over 2 years I've been showing him "kennel up" and giving him a cookie when he jumps into his bed.

Tommy kenneled up.

In fact, I called him to me and told him to kennel up again. He did it! The best present he could have given me. All was forgiven for the messes in the dining room.

Have a great day.

1 comment:

  1. I have to laugh at your "nice relaxing alcoholic drink (or 2 or 3)"!

    That's usually what causes the ripping and swearing around here.

    And the kennel up command around here is "go to your bed". The Corgi frequently acts like he's never heard of such a thing in his life, despite a year of trying to teach him.

    ReplyDelete