"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman


Doing the Right Thing

I was losing my battle with the Panic Attack Anxiety Disorder. It took a turn for the worse and I found myself vomiting several times a day, unable to sleep, and feeling miserable. I wake up in the morning and before I've even had a chance to think of anything my brain starts pumping those nasty fight or flight chemicals into my blood stream. By the time I got up I was a basket case.

So, I was sitting in my chair on Wednesday morning, feeling absolutely wretched, and asked myself "Why am I sitting here suffering when all I need to do is go see my doctor?" I picked up the phone and made the call. 2 hours later he was checking me out. I did the right thing. His diagnosis-my body has been under a great deal of stress of late. Thus, triggering the Panic Attacks. He has upped my daily Prozac dose.

Then he started talking about Xanax because it takes Prozac anywhere from 2 to 5 weeks to start working. Xanax is a tranquilizer that stops the brain from pumping those nasty chemicals. Brings it to a screeching halt in my case. It helps with the anxiety until the Prozac kicks in. However, it also makes me very very apathetic and sleepy. I can hardly function when I take it. I expressed my misgivings and the doctor suggested I try something new. So I did, and I love it. Within an hour of taking the first dose I started to feel more normal. The anxiety just dissipated, and I was not drowsy. I was hungry-for lunch. My appetite came back. I will only need to take it for a week or two until the Prozac kicks in, and it's not addictive. So I am a happy camper. The last two evenings I have eaten dinner with enthusiasm (I even cooked them!) and I didn't get nauseous afterwards and throw up. Hurray! I'm still waking up and getting hit with the attacks first thing, but that will decrease over the next couple weeks until it stops all together.

Since I've been feeling better the last couple days, I've been going out on little adventures. I have been looking for an appropriate thread to use for stitching the background of Dogwood & Hummingbird. I ordered the thread the pattern lists, but when it arrived on Wednesday it was way too light. It's a hand painted silk thread called Waterlillies and apparently there is no consistency in it's color from dyed batch to dyed batch. Mine is almost white it's so pale (supposed to be light blue with bits of pink).

I was given several suggestions for threads that might be suitable substitutions. So yesterday afternoon I got in the car and took off for Coeur d'Alene, where I drove from store to store looking for a thread that would work. I was unsuccessful. So, after carefully and thoroughly thinking about it, I'm gonna just use plain blue thread. It's not that important to me that the background MUST be pink and blue. Just blue is fine. As long as it looks more or less like sky. I've dug in the stash and found 2 different threads I'm pleased with. Now, to choose which one.......

This mornings adventure was a bit more strenuous. First I went in for a blood test. After that I decided to go to Walmart. Sweet Hubby has been making comments about picking up the latest Indiana Jones movie that's now out on DVD. So I thought I'd pop in and get it for him. Our Walmart is HUGE! And while I was there, I picked up a few other things we needed-which required wandering from one end of the store to the other, and back again. In other words, I did a lot of walking this morning. I'd say I did a mile, easily. All be it, at a leasurely pace while I looked for the specific items I wanted, but a mile none the less. My leg hardly hurt at all. I got very very tired, but I sure feel good about it. My recovery is speeding up. Once I've got this Panic Attack situation conquered, I'll be set.

Had a moose sighting Wednesday night. Tommy was fast asleep under a pile of blankets on the couch. We know he was asleep cos he was snoring. All the windows and doors were closed cos it was freezing cold outside (frost was forming on the grass). Suddenly, without warning he went absolutely bonkers. Started barking and racing and throwing himself against the back door. I opened it up and sure enough, there was a moose. We have a gate at the bottom of the steps so Tommy could not chase after the moose, but he sure barked his head off at it. I grabbed my paint ball pistol and planted a nice bright yellow one right on the mooses rear end. Boy, did she run!!! Moose can go pretty fast if they want to. What I wanna know is how did Tommy know? We didn't hear anything. Dogs are amazing sometimes.

My daughter, Ruth, is coming home from school for the weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing her. Maybe we can talk knitting.

Well, the washer has sounded it's buzzer. Time to throw the load into the dryer. So I will sign off.

Have a great day.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're making progress. Excellent. Take care of yourself and get completely better soon.