"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

8/16/08

Death Fang

We got a pleasant surprise yesterday. A package came in the mail for my daughter Ruth from my sister Liane. It was a hand made dragon she'd designed based on a series of stories my daughter is writing.

I've mentioned it before, but it's been awhile, so I'm gonna take the opportunity to mention it again. One of Ruthie's hobbies is writing. She hopes to be a real paid author of fiction novels some day (she gets this from her mothers side-I'm serious). She has a site on Fiction Press.com where she posts assorted things she's written. It doesn't get much action right now cos she's a college student soon to enter her senior year. Time for writing is at a premium.

Her latest project is 52 Dragons. She is writing a small 52 word story for each week about a dragon, with a goal of 1 per week for a whole year. Thus, 52 Dragons. I think it's an incredibly clever idea. But, then, I'm biased. I'm the proud mother.

One of the dragons is Death Fang. This is what she wrote about him:

"He was the most feared dragon in all the land, but with a name like Death Fang it was kind of expected. He was huge with glossy black scales and a glare that could melt steel. You can imagine the surprise when they found him wearing a pink feather boa and lipstick."

My sister has brought Death Fang to life for my daughter. She is absolutely thrilled!


The happy owner of Death Fang.


Liane, if you are reading this. Thank you. This is the sweetest thing you have ever done for my daughter.

My sister has a web site where she sells custom made dolls and whatnot. Please visit it if you are interested.

Fairy Godmother Creations

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've been asked what is wrong with my eyes. Allergies, and sensitivity. I'm allergic to microscopic air particles like dust, mold, and smoke-of which there is plenty in the air in August. Especially the dust and smoke. The smoke comes from forest fires, wild fires, and the burning of blue grass fields. The Coeur d'Alene Indian tribe grows thousands and thousands of acres of blue grass for seed. They burn the fields after the harvest to shock the grass into producing more seed the next year. Though they do their best to only burn when the wind is blowing east, it still manages to make it's way north. There are days when the air is so thick I can't even see the road in front of my house. Not fun when you have asthma either.

I go through this misery every year at this time. I have meds to keep it tolerable and me functioning. Fortunately, it only lasts a few days or so. My eyes are already starting to feel better. I plan on beading and knitting today.

I also am planning on staying inside promoting the relationship I have with the air conditioner, up close and personal. It's supposed to get near 100 degrees. Heat + dust + smoke = chicken butt. That last being me.

I'll be going out in it tomorrow though, which will be a triple digit temperature day. We are going to use the free tickets Ruthie has earned working at Silverwood Theme Park. I'm gonna float the lazy river, also known as Elkhorn Creek, with a nice alcoholic drink in hand, and stay cool while the rest of the bunch throws themselves down water slides and shakes up their lunch on the roller coasters.

Off to find some beads.

Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment