"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

6/15/08

WWKIP Day Report

It was a beautiful day at the park. Perfect weather. When I arrived folks were just finished up with some athletic event so the park was packed with people. I had great hopes for the day, despite the fact that I was ill and had spent all night throwing up.


Very few attended the event. Mostly me and my kids. One gal from Spokane, name Jan, came too, for about half an hour. She spun some gorgeous yellow fiber. I appreciate her efforts to come even though she couldn’t stay long.


A lady and her daughter came (and her parents showed up for a minute). She claimed she was there to knit, but then she asked me what my shirt meant and there were no knitting accouterments, so I knew she was not being truthful. After that she asked me if I go to church. I knew I was in trouble then. She was there looking for converts for her church, not to knit. Eventually I had to chase her off-in a nice way of course. Sheesh!


My shirt said “Yarn is a 4 letter word” with a list of 100 4 letter words to do with knitting under it-like purl, knit, sock. Geez! If you’re gonna lie to someone at least make half an effort to make it believable.


The park got busy again with families having picnics. Our biggest audience were the ducks though. They got really curious about us with our yarn (I think they were wondering if it was food) and actually walked right up and put their heads near my lap to sniff it. It was very entertaining.


I had signs up and whatnot, but no one asked us about knitting, or crochet.


That’s it. I am disappointed there weren’t more. Especially since so many had told me they were going to be there. However, I did enjoy spending the time with my 2 wonderful daughters and my awesome future son in law. And the park was gorgeous.


Next year I have more time to plan and advertise, so it should be better. WWKIP is always on the second Saturday of June.


Here are a few photos I took:

Our set up


Our first curious party.


A marmot dropped in for a snack.


The crew. From left to right: Ruth, Sarah, and Frank.


Here come some more curious onlookers.


Hey! Watcha got there?


Now, that's intense concentration!



I worked on my sock while at the park. I got the heel flap done, but got stuck on the turn. I forgot to take my pattern instructions with me, and for the life of me, I could not remember how to start the turning part. Arrgh.

I am still feeling sick. I've caught a rather nasty bug for sure. I'm home alone right now. The family went for an adventure up in the Coeur d'Alene forest. It's what their Dad wanted to do for Fathers Day. I love going up there, but I just feel too sick to go. So I'm staying home, resting, and writing this blog.

Have a Happy Fathers Day

3 comments:

  1. Sympathy on being sick and on your pityful turnout. I can't believe more knitters didn't show up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a gorgeous day for it, so its a shame you had such a low turn out. At least you and your family had fun I hope?

    We had a fair turnout for our picnic in the park, dragging non knitting spouses, hangers on and children along too.

    My sympathy on your feeling sick the whole weekend and I hope you're feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a small turnout for out WWKIP day, too, but remember quantity isn't the same as QUALITY :) You did it anyway and there's always next year!

    ReplyDelete