"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman


More of the Nasty White Stuff

Well, so much for "2 more inches". It turned out to be 8. It snowed hard all day long.

I had to get out to do something fun. The home environment was feeling overwhelmingly oppressive to me. So against my better judgment, I decided to go to bead group. Technically, bead group is me going to my friend Cindy's bead store and spending a couple hours or so chatting and beading with her. Once in awhile someone else will show up too, which makes it all the more fun. (We had a new gal come who is quite a card. She makes me laugh, so I hope she comes again.)

It took almost an hour to get my car out of the driveway. Lots of digging and cat litter (for traction). It is a testament to my determination to go somewhere that I actually succeeded in doing so. You may wonder why I had such a hard time after all the digging and blowing that was done on Monday. That's how much snow fell between when I got up and I left 4 hours later. It was really slippery snow too. Besides, my car is being really wimpy about it all. I don't think I like my new tires. They don't seem to have much traction in the snow.

About 2 miles from home I started wishing I hadn't gone out. The roads were downright scary. Especially on Highway 41, where the snow was racing horizontally and drifting like crazy. I persevered, though, and made it safe and sound to Cindy's shop, where we cried on each others shoulders over the amount of snow we find ourselves dealing with. Somehow it just made everything better being able to do that. I also finished a couple projects that I've had on the back burner for awhile. Cindy had some show and tell too. She recently got a new spinning wheel and she showed me some yarn she's working on. It's gorgeous. It's a blend of various fibers in blacks and whites, including some angora from a rabbit she used to have, named Granddad. It's very soft yarn. She also showed me some yarn she dyed with Kool Aid because I've been talking about trying that.

Driving home was even less fun. Anything over 25mph and the car would start squirreling around on the road. It took several tries before I made it back down the driveway to my parking spot in front of the house. I came in the house, exhausted, and collapsed in my chair for a nap.

I felt so bad when Sweet Hubby got home from work. I could see the frustration in his face. He's done nothing but move snow around for 4 days. He had to do yet another repair job on the snow blower, then spend 2.5 hours blowing snow out of the driveway and parking area. Under the circumstances, comfort food was needed. So I made fried chicken for dinner.

This morning I opened the door to let the boys out for their business and I was able to report to Sweet Hubby there is no new snow. Hurray! We get a break today. However, we have storm warnings for tonight. We're expecting another 8 to 10 inches overnight.

I suppose I should try to find positive things about this situation, and there is one good thing about it. The snow is now too deep for any Moose to come within a couple miles of my house.

I've been working on the Baby Surprise. It's been a bit of a challenge. I have learned some new things, including a new way to do Make 1's. The pattern is turning out to be quite clever. I see why it's so popular. I'll take pics of it later today. My camera battery is dead so I'm waiting for it to charge up.

Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment