"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman



A couple evenings ago I glanced over at the couch and spotted this. I thought it was so funny I took a pic to share. Tommy cuddling with Dad. He really knows how to get comfortable. He fell asleep like that and slept for quite awhile.

I got the lace cover up blocked. Here's the back, all pinned out and steamed.

I laid the front on top of it so you could see the size difference before and after blocking.

The first sleeve.

Sleeves before and after.

The yarn is an acrylic/cotton blend. After steaming it has a wonderful soft drape. I'm working on the hood now. Got 4 of the 14 inches done. The directions have you sewing the shoulder seams, them picking up stitches for the hood. However, I realized that it would be difficult to block if I did that. I want the lace to be really open, so I've done a provisional cast on and I'm knitting it separate. After it's done, and blocked, I'll attach it to the neckline.

Yesterday afternoon I worked on fixing the Buccaneer Booty socks. If you'll remember, in the first sock I used size 2 needles for the whole thing. But for the second sock I switched to size 3 needles for the fairisle skull section. There was a considerable difference in stretchability between the two. You can see the size difference there at the yellow arrow.

size 2 ---------------------- size 3

So, I decided to take out the skulls in the size 2 sock and graft in a newly knitted (on size 3 needles) skull section. Should only take a couple hours, right?

Around 1pm I had this glorified idea that I'd take lots of photos and create a tutorial on the subject, but it didn't work out as planned. The black yarn was a huge problem, not just in photographing it, but in actually working on it. Despite all the lights and magnifiers I own, including an Ott light, I could hardly see the stitches to graft. I got pretty frustrated by 3pm, so I took a half hour break and cleaned up the kitchen. I then decided to scrap the tutorial plan, and just get the darn thing done. Taking an hour out of there for making and eating dinner, I got the sock done just before 10:30pm. So much for "this should only take a couple hours". It was still quicker than knitting a whole new sock though-at least, for me. Now the socks are equally stretchable and the same size.

and I know how to use the delayed timer on my camera. (Whoopdeedoo!)

Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment