"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

10/22/07

Stash Enhancement - Woot!

What a great weekend I had. Friday evening Sarah and Frank came over for dinner. We talked a lot and played the Munchkin game after dinner. It was very enjoyable, though I still don't 'get' the game. I've come to the conclusion that children are much more fun when they're all grown up cos then you can become friends. I consider Sarah one of my best friends. We have such a good time together.

On Saturday I worked on the Buccaneer's Booty sock. I've made some good progress. I might actually get it done before the end of the month. I've made a change to the pattern. Rather than using red for the body of the sock, I've used black. I'm using the red for the heels and toes. I didn't have enough for two socks worth of leg and foot. I like it this way.


I have learned something about fairisle. Actually, I should say I've RElearned it because it's something I forgot. Fairisle doesn't have very much stretch. It's just a little bit tight going over my heel when I put it on. You need to keep your tension loose in the strands across the back. I would suggest you knit the fairisle parts of socks with a size larger needle too. For instance, in this sock I am using size 2 needles. I wish when I got to the skull pattern I'd changed to size 3, then back to size 2 at the next stripe. I am going to do it for the second sock. I'm not entering these in the fair, and the recipient really won't notice the difference, except one will be a bit easier to put on than the other.

On Sunday Sarah and I went to a bead show for some Stash Enhancement. Bead Stampede was at the Spokane fair grounds. It's not so much a show as it's a market with vendors from out of town, as well as local bead shops. There were so many cool things there. It was hard to decide what to get. I got thoroughly inspired by some of the finished items on display too. Here are some glass beads I picked up. Admittedly, they were not cheap. But they're different from anything I can get around here.


One of the vendors was selling really nice strands of stone and gem beads. If you bought $100 worth, you got it for half price, or $50. Sarah and I went halfies on some stone. We got some round Fire Agate, disc shaped green beads with bits of red in them (I don't remember the name of the stone), some Blue Goldstone carved in the shape of leaves, and some round Appletite (the aqua blue)


Pig & Panda Inc. was there. I took advantage of the opportunity to pick up one of their Sophea lampwork focal flower beads. This bead is about 2 inches long. The hole is vertical. It's my favorite color too. I have specific plans for this bead.



After the bead show we went to TGI Fridays for a late lunch. I had such a great time with Sarah. She's a lot of fun to go places with.

In the evening we ended up going to Frank and Sarah's for dinner. They made White Chili. It was SO good. We played Michigan Rummy afterwards. It's one of my favorite card games. Sweet Hubby managed to win, though we're still scratchin' our heads as to how he managed it because he was losing right up until the last hand.

This morning I opted to skip walking with C and J. Morgan was really restless last night, so I didn't get much sleep. I decided to take a morning nap, then bead some. While I was beading the UPS truck arrived with more Stash Enhancement. My Opal solids sock yarn order arrived from Little Knits. Such yummy colors!



I got the bracelet done I was working on today. I can not show the whole thing because it is the second bracelet for the bracelet swap. I used deep purple transparent size 15 seed beads and 4mm silver dyed pearls. I love the silver clasp on it. It is so dainty. I will post the whole photo after my partner has received it.

Have a peaceful evening.

1 comment:

  1. Cute beads! I love your Buccaneer Booty socks. Fair Isle has that hideous tendency to not have enough yarn between the colors - I was told to push the stitches farther back on the needles than normal, in order to give enough room for the stranding yarn. It helped, although really, thinking way too much about it until it finally drilled into my head (and possibly making ruched fabric once or twice) is what did it for me.

    I saw you joined the Tudor Roses KAL and was just checking to see if you've picked up Margaret. Not that I'm any farther on mine....eons later......

    ReplyDelete