"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

4/23/07

The Weekend and Good News

The weekend was quite a nice one. Saturday I taught the first session of the 'Wretched Choker' class. I had one student, of course. The gal who requested the class. It went really well. She caught on very quickly to doing the ladder stitch basket weave. However, there is one little complaint I'd like to make. I found out the student did not want to make the choker. She wanted to make a bracelet using the basket weave pattern in the choker. This is NOT what I was told. So, I found out I'd learned to make something I didn't want to teach it to someone who also didn't want it. Somehow Murphy's law comes in there somewhere I'm sure. I changed mid-stream. We are now making a bracelet. Or, maybe I should say SHE is making a bracelet. I'm making something else-anything else!

I did a bit of knitting. I'm making another toy for Knitwits. I found a pattern on Knitty.com for a Nautiloid. A Nautiloid is a prehistoric creature related to the octopus. Sort of a cross between that and a snail. For almost 500 million years, Nautiloids were around. They ate trilobites, had shells in a variety of fantastical shapes, and ranged from bite-size to 12 feet long.You can see the pattern HERE. My daughters boyfriend, Frank, saw the pattern over the weekend and just about went nuts. I guess I'll have to make him one too.

On Sunday hubby and I went to Costco to stock up on various food supplies. Then we shopped a couple places to look at flooring. In June we are tearing up the old yucky carpet and putting in Bamboo. Light, natural colored, engineered vertical bamboo is absolutely gorgeous stuff-and way easier to clean up should the iggy boys do the dirty deed on the floor-which they seem to want to do often despite all the training I do. I can hardly wait. It's going to be so purty! I'm going to paint the living/dining room walls a forest green too, and get some drapes for the windows. Maybe I'll make the drapes and make use of that wonderful sewing machine hubby got me for Christmas 2 years ago.

When we got home, he got online and ordered a Mac laptop with a 17 inch screen. Can you tell we got our tax return??? He gave me his "old" windows laptop, which is a Toshiba that is nothing to sneer at. Sheesh! It's got a 100gb hard drive in it and makes my desktop look like a slug. As soon as he gets done setting it all up I'll be using it for blogging and such. It's got a wireless thingamajig in it so I can get online without having to attach a cord between it and the wall. I'll be able to sit in my leather hug (also known as the recliner) and surf all I want. Can't complain about that!

I managed to do a bit of beading. Last time Ruthie was home she'd gone rock hunting on the Parkarosa and left an odd selection of them on the windowsill in the bathroom. One of them was a nice little piece of coal. We're wondering how that coal got on the Parkarosa cos this is not coal country, but that's another story. I've decided to make a necklace with that coal for her. I made a cage sort of thing with some sterling silver wire and put the coal in it. Now I'm going to make the strap with crystals, silver bugles, and black seed beads.

This morning I went walking with Jean and Cindy. What a pack of pathetic old women we are. All three of us were hurting from the weekend (my hips are killing me from all the stair climbing I did in Moscow) so we were only able to do 1 1/2 miles. I guess some days are going to be worse than others.

Now the good news. When I got home Sarah called. She has been chosen as Outstanding Senior by the Computer Science department. They're having a ceremony Thursday evening, so Doug and I will be motoring on down to Moscow again. Oh boy! Another chance to sit and beam with pride. Life is good right now.

Have a good day.

1 comment:

  1. Coal? For a pendant????? But I believe you know your pendants.

    ReplyDelete