"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

3/20/24

WIP Wednesday March 20, 2024

 I finally have made some time to blog! Sheesh I've been busy. I've been away long enough for the programmers to mess with Blogger. Now I get to learn where everything is all over again. *sob*

Here's what I've been working on since my last post.

I have taken a break at the moment from this project, an Estonian mitten I started in February after I got the preceding hat done. It's not an easy one for me. I got as far as time for top shaping, which did not go well. I got really frustrated and it's in time out.


I put it in time out and started working on a new sweater for me!


Several years ago I made the Berroco Andoa pullover for my daughter-in-law. I loved the design and working on it and have wanted one for myself. I've decided it's time. I'm loving it too. I've been working on rather challenging stuff since Christmas and it's nice to work on something a little easier. I'm going to put short sleeves on this one because I get so hot when wearing a sweater.

I've also been trying to start a third project, mittens for my daughter, because her birthday is coming up. I found the cutest pattern on Ravelry, and it's a free pattern too. I have cast on twice making a test swatch and I'm not able to get gauge. You see, the mittens are made with Aran weight yarn with a gauge of 29 sts to 4 inches. The original was done on size 3 needles. I can't imagine how the designer got that gauge! I've gone down to 1 and still can't get it. It's so difficult to knit too. There is no way I can go to a size 0. I'm not going to be able to do it with my yarn, which is actually light worsted weight Cascade 220 wool. I don't have time to order thinner yarn, so I'm going to dig in my Pallet stash and see what I can do. I'm thinking knitting with 2 strands held together will be better because that puts it at sport weight. I'm pretty certain I don't have any sport weight wool in my stash.

I did some crafting for my bathroom. For years and years I've had a vase with dried grasses and weeds that I found on our property and painted gold for decoration in there. For years it's been collecting dust, and I just plain got tired of it. It was looking pretty bad. Michaels was having a great sale on their silk floral stock so I purchased some choice items and made a new arrangement. Tossed the weeds out. I got purple poppies, lavender, ferns and something tall that I don't know the name. I love it.


Doing it brought some wonderful memories to mind. When I was about 5 years old, my parents refused to send me to Kindergarten. I really don't know why, but anyway, Momma took some floral arranging classes because she was doing the flowers for our church and wanted to be good at it. She couldn't get a sitter for me, so she got permission to bring me with her. I was so completely fascinated by the whole process that I ended up learning as much as she did. I remember the teacher just adored me and she'd give me the class materials so I could make arrangements with the grown-ups. Yikes! I've just realized that was 60 years ago!

Speaking of 60, I turned 65 this year. That means I had to apply for Medicare. You're fined if you don't.  I filed my application on January 9th, online, because that's how they preferred I do it. The web site said I'd have my card in 2 to 4 weeks. That was 3 months ago and it's been a nightmare of frustration ever since. Because of our insane health care system, I was immediately removed from our private health insurance. That's the law. I have been completely NOT insured for two months! That means no drug coverage, so I've been paying a lot of money for those. I'm hoping I'll get a refund when I finally get my card because it was supposed to start on February 1st.

After 4 weeks, I started calling the Social Security Agency and man! It took me WEEKS to finally get a human! I won't go into details, but it's a nightmare. I asked what was taking so long and they found out my application had been sitting, waiting for someone to do something with it and being ignored. They don't know why but I was assured they would take care of it right away and I'd have my card in 2 to 3 weeks. I'm still waiting. I'm probably going to have to try getting a human on their phone system again. NOT looking forward to it. In the meantime, I'm being extra careful so I don't injure myself and need a doctor. It's scary.

Now on to weather. It was cold and snowy a couple weeks ago. This is the driveway going away from the house.


Then the weather warmed up. Last weekend it got up to 70F degrees and it's been wonderful since. My daughter and I have been enjoying the deck doing much knitting in the sunshine. It's been bliss. It's starting to look like an uncomfortably early spring. The snow is all gone, the daffodils have sprouted, the leaves are budding on the trees, and my Crocus are blooming in the lawn!



These are tiny Crocus. They only grow maybe 2 inches high. I once had a flower bed in the front yard that was full of spring bulbs. I had it for a couple years, and then dug it up and planted grass because the deer kept eating everything. These tiny Crocus have been popping up in the lawn every since. They're the first thing that blooms at my house that isn't wild.

The weather is supposed to change starting tonight and cold is coming back in the form of rain. I'm hoping it doesn't go to snow or we'll lose our blossom buds. Keeping my fingers crossed.

So check out this photo. It's the Crocus above, but zoomed in. I didn't even notice there are 3 bugs on the flower on the left. Can you spot them?



Well, that's the news for now. I'm going to go dig in my stash for something to make a pair of mitten.

Live long and prosper. \\//






No comments:

Post a Comment