"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

12/20/23

Octopus Hat

 Christmas knitting project number 2 is done. And sent. 



PatternClassic Octopus Hat by Molly Kent
Size: Adult

Yarn: Berroco Vintage
Content: 52% Acrylic, 40% Wool, 8% Nylon
Color: Mochi

Yarn: Berroco Vintage
Content: 52% Acrylic, 40% Wool, 8% Nylon
Color: Mocha

Needles: ChiaoGoo circular size 8

Started: November 30, 2023
Finished: December 7, 2023

Comments: This pattern turned out to be a huge frustration. Gauge was supposed to be 5 stitches to the inch with a size 5 needle. Cast on was 96 stitches. I could not get gauge with the suggested needle size. I knew that before casting on. So I went up 2 needle sizes to 7. The hat turned out very small. I mean child size. I did some math and yeah, it's the pattern. 96 divided by 5 is 19. So I added 16 stitches and went up another needle size to 8. The average adult head is 21-22 inches around. This time it was the right size.

Close up of octopus.



After getting this done I immediately started the next Christmas project. The cat mittens I started in early September and ended up frogging. I chucked the pattern and found a different one. I also decided on different colors. Instead of white and brown, I went with white and purple. I have frogged them 3 times. On the fourth try.


Again, it's the pattern that is the problem. The cast on is only 60 stitches, in fingering weight yarn! Needle size is 1. I couldn't even pull them on, so I went up to size 3. The cuff is still a little snug, but useable. The hand was impossible! The designer must have very small hands. I have frogged back to the cuff and did some reading. 

Now, you have to remember that mittens in fingering weight and stranded are a big challenge for me. I'm having a difficult time with them, but I'm determined to conquer them. Mostly, it's a tension issue. I don't know why, but I can knit stranded socks without any trouble, but the mittens? ARRRGH!!!

Earlier this year I purchased two books that are the word on "stranded" style mittens. Estonian Knitting Volumes 1 and III. It was a little difficult to find these at an affordable price because they are out of print. My google-fu is strong though, and I found them, in English!

I decided to look into volume 3, which is about mittens and gloves, and do some reading. Yeah. 60 stitches is ridiculous. The smallest cast on I could find in that book was 70 stitches. So I decided to add 10 stitches to the pattern. There is one row of straight knitting between the cuff and the beginning of the charts. I did the increases there. I  guess we'll find out how they work out. In the meantime, there is no way I'm going to have these done by Christmas. I'm hoping I will get at least one done by then. The targeted recipient is local, so one with a promise of it's mate will do fine.

We got this years Christmas tree up. Purple theme this year.



Saw a tree on Pinterest that had this wide mesh ribbon. I decided to try it and I love the result. I bought some more plastic purple ornaments too. I really love the plastic ones. They're getting really pretty. If the cats get into the tree and knock them off, they won't break.

Weather this week has been warmer than normal. We have snow from two weekends ago, but it's melting away. It's rained quite a bit. Expecting more as the week progresses. In Coeur d'Alene there is no snow. We're expecting no new snow before Christmas. Kind of unusual, but not unheard of. I remember in the early 2000's when I had my store we had a winter that I only had to have the parking lot plowed three times. So, not unheard of. 

Live long and prosper. \\//

No comments:

Post a Comment