"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

8/27/23

Russian Spiral With 8's

 Decided to make a new white necklace. I have a Russian Spiral I made some years ago and I wear it a lot. It's one of my favorites. Here's the new one.


Here's the old one. It's made with one color of size 8 seed beads in Miyuki Pearlized White and size 11 Miyuki Silver Lined Light Gold. Unfortunately, the light gold outside color came off leaving me with clear silver lined beads. I still love it though.


I used 3  colors in the new one. Miyuki Clear AB, Miyuki Opaque White, and Miyuki Pearlized Ceylon White, with a size 11 Miyuki Sparkle Metallic Gold Lined Crystal. 


Here's a close up so you can see the detail of the spiral.


I made a toggle clasp with a simple loop.



The rounds had 6 beads, so I attached the clasp by continuing the size 11's past the end by just a couple beads, so three lines coming to one. I also put a piece of wooden toothpick inside the toggle to stiffen it up. Otherwise, the toggle would be kind of bendy, despite my efforts toward tight tension..



I used 4 mm White AB Fire Polished crystals on the ends just to look pretty.


All in all, I think it turned out quite nice. I'll be wearing it a lot.


I had intended to do this post a few days ago, but I had problems. My little Sony Cybershot DSC-H3 is an old camera even though I just bought it this year. When I sat down to take pictures of the new necklace, I forgot to put the Smart card back into the camera. I'd been downloading pictures into my laptop a couple days before, and just forgot to put it back. After 14 pics, I got a message that said the internal memory was full. It was a surprise! I didn't even know it had internal memory. 

I put the card back in and took the rest of the pics. Later, when I took the card out to load them into my laptop, the first 14 pictures weren't on the card. Apparently, the camera can not transfer the internal pics onto the smart card. I need a rather large cable to hook the camera up to the computer and download them directly.  Arghh! I had that cable. I bought it special because it didn't come with my camera, though honestly, I didn't know what it was for. It was on the coffee table for months! Now that I need it, it's gone! Missing! Vamoosed! Astray! Disappeared!

Hubby and Ruth helped me ransack the house and the shop for 2 days and we did not find it. I can't, for the life of me, remember what I did with it, assuming I did something with it. I'm so careful with my camera equipment. I make sure any bits not being used go into the appointed camera storage place, except that cable being on the coffee table. When I saw it wasn't on the table, I automatically went to the file cabinet. It wasn't there. 

I've ordered another one. Thankfully, they are still available. It's supposed to arrive late next week. I expect the missing cable will appear right after I open the box for the new cable. In the meantime, I retook those 14 photos. I've also ordered more smart cards so I can swap out when downloading. Then it won't matter because I'll always have a card in the camera.

By the way, we own a LOT of black cables. USB cables, phone charging cables, tablet cables, computer cables. Dozens of them. Boxes of them! Three drawers full of them! Time to cull the herd and get rid of the ones we don't use anymore. Good grief!

We had a glorious rainy cool day last week! It knocked down the smoke, and was like a balm after several days of oppressive heat and solid air. It warmed back up yesterday, and today it's gonna be hot hot hot. Then it's back down to the 70's Monday. The smoke is building back up in the air. The lower temperatures will help the firefighters though. 

All my Learning links are updated. See the side bar, just above the knitting owl.

Sweet Hubby is teaching a class at the U of Idaho/Coeur d'Alene this semester. He'll be out of the house 3 times a week. I love him so much, but I also like to have a break every so often. He's home all. the. time. I shall enjoy this semester,

That's all for today.

Live long and prosper \\//



 

No comments:

Post a Comment