"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

1/14/20

Ramblings

Just some newsy items for myself.

We have angered the knitting gods. During this past weekend, we got 28 inches of new snow. I woke up this morning to another 8 or so inches. I think mother nature is trying to make up for the no-snow December. I shoveled a lot of snow yesterday. So much that I can hardly lift my arms.

I went down the hill yesterday to wipe off the satellite dish so I could watch some television. I had to wade through the snow down to the gate, then shovel a space wide enough to open the gate. The snow is heavy. Finally got it done, opened the gate, waded down to the dish and it is not only covered in snow, but there's an inch of ice frozen to the dish underneath the snow. I could not get it to come off. So I waded back up to the house in defeat. By the time I got back I was so exhausted I sat down and watched Netflix instead. I had intended to go down after a nice rest with some hot water and a plastic spatula to clean things off, but I just could not face wading through that snow again. It's exhausting when you're a short person. I don't know if I'm gonna give it another try today or not. Especially since there's an added new bunch that makes it higher than my knees.

The overnight snow on Sunday caused a lot of power outages. Our power stayed on, but it went out at the well house. It took most of the day for sweet hubby to get the well going again after the power came back on. Turned out to be a blown fuse and a bad set of directions in the manual for how to get it going again. He figured it out, and I got my shower around 3pm. You don't really appreciate how important running water is until you don't have it. I was in the act of melting snow to get enough in a bucket to flush the toilet when it came back on. I was so happy to give that chore up.

I have been knitting, of course. I'm about a third through the Crazed Scandinavian cowl.



The yarn I'm using is supposed to be purple and blue variegated with long color repeats. It seems to be a lot more blue than purple. It will still go with my coat though. Just a tiny bit disappointed.

After New Years day I cast on the baby cardigan for Layette set #42. I'm trying a new pattern. It's color blocks.



I've got the blocking, shoulders joined, and the sewing done. Now it's time to knit on the button/neck band. I was going to use yellow for that, but I think maybe black would look better.

The yarn was given to my by a new friend. A group of new members has been coming to our Thursday Yarnies meeting. They are a fun bunch too. One of them brought a sweater to the meeting that she'd found at a thrift store. It's a Mary Maxim Intarsia sweater someone had made. It had the wearers initials on it. She thought they were duplicate stitched on and removed them. It turned out they were knitted in so she ended up making a big unsightly hole. She brought the sweater to show us and ask if there was any way to repair it. I repaired it for her during the meeting. In exchange, she bought me 3 skeins of yarn in my color choice. I consider it a fair trade.

I had a nice Christmas. We spend Christmas eve at home, just the three of us. I made a roast beef dinner with mashed potatoes, gravy, and what not. We opened one present that night. The big box that came from Sarah and Frank. It had a house air purifier in it. It was an incredibly thoughtful gift. They thought it will help with my asthma, and it has.

On Christmas day we opened the rest of our presents. Sweet Hubby gave me a new coffee maker.



I had to laugh because we have a perfectly fine coffee maker but he hates it because of the pot, so he got a new one. The pot is pretty much the same as in the old coffee maker. The coffee maker itself is a new design that is much easier to clean. It comes apart and the upper half can go in the dishwasher.

My daughter Ruth gave me the complete dvd set of Downton Abby. I also got a new french beaded flowers book by Lauren Harpster,


a Star Trek calendar, and lots of chocolate. Mmmm, chocolate. Later in the afternoon we went to our friends house for dinner and cards. It was a very fun evening.

Frank loves the sweater I made for him. It fits perfectly too.



Sarah loves the socks I made her too.

This week I've gone back to working on the bicycle cross stitch project I started last year. Initially I was going to try and have it done in time for Christmas but soon realized that was totally unrealistic, so I'm aiming for daughter Sarah's birthday near the end of April. I'm wearing reading glasses to work on it. It's been hard to get used to them. I miss my near vision.

Well, I suppose I should get busy shoveling off the back steps so the dog can get in and out. I'm hoping this snow attack will end soon.

Live long and prosper. \\//

No comments:

Post a Comment