"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

11/11/19

5x1 Rib Socks

I've finished one knitted Christmas present for this year. Socks for my oldest daughter.

A mothers job is difficult.

I had been planning to knit a special sweater for her for a couple years or so. I even bought the yarn and everything. A few weeks ago I was getting ready to cast on when I called her to ask what size she wears. I wasn't sure if it had changed since the last time I knit her a sweater. She told me she didn't want me to make her a sweater. I made her too many sweaters. Then she asked me why I don't make socks for her anymore? I answered that I stopped because she told me she didn't like them. She didn't like how they felt on her feet. She could feel the little purl bumps when she wore them and didn't like the feeling. So I stopped making socks for her. This was several years ago.

Now she has said she would like them if I made them shorter. I made them too long before. So I've made a pair of socks that have 2.5 inch legs (including the ribbing).



Pattern: Didn't use one
Size: To fit womens size 8.

Yarn: Poe by Olive & Two Ewe Studios
Content: 80% Superwash Merino/10% Cashmere/10% Nylon, fingering weight
Color: Harvest

Needles: Circulars size 1

Started: November 1, 2019
Finished: November 7, 2019

Comments: I made these up as I went along. I cast on 72 sts. I did one inch of 1x1 rib, then started 5x1 rib for the main stitch pattern. 



I started the heel flap when the leg was 2.5 inches from cast on edge. I like the way the heels turned out.



By the way, I've made one sweater for her in 10 years. ONE sweater. Sigh.

Live long and prosper. \\//

No comments:

Post a Comment