"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

9/1/13

Teal Mittens, a FO

I have a FO to show (FO means finished object for the uninitiated out there). A lovely pair of teal mens mittens.



Little Garter Checks Mens Mittens

Pattern:  Little Garter Checks Mens Mittens by me, made for Knitwits.

Yarn: Red Heart Soft
Content: 100% Acrylic, worsted weight
Color: 9518 Teal

Needles: Addi Turbo Circular size 5

Cast on: August 3, 2013
Completed: August 28, 2013

Comments: I love these mittens. I mean, I really love them! I just made up the stitch pattern on a whim, which is very simple and is probably in some stitch pattern book somewhere with an official name. (I'll have to go looking for it.) For now I'm  calling it Little Garter Checks. I have written up the pattern and it's being test knit.




Detail of the stitch pattern.



I carried the pattern right to the tips.



And I'm quite pleased with the thumbs. I'm getting better at them, though I still haven't quite figured out how to prevent holes where I join the yarn for the thumb, so I find myself stitching them up when I'm done.



It's a manly pattern, so I have written the pattern in 2 sizes, both for men.



Fall has started, and winter is not far away. Someones hands will be warm with these.



~~~~~~

I have an almost FO too. All I have left to do on this dress is sew on the snaps in the back.



It fits the doll very well. Better than any of the dresses I've made so far. I think I'm done with the fit adjustments for this particular pattern.

I started on the next Seedbeadersters bead along project. 2-drop peyote is the topic.



I've chosen 4 colors in a checkered pattern. So far, it's been a piece of cake. Just like regular peyote stitch.

Had the oddest thing happen last night. We'd been over to Dan and Sue's for dinner/birthday party for their youngest son. When I got home my back hurt really bad. So I went and sat in the hot tub. I got the bubbles and everything going and was just starting to relax when it shut completely off. I couldn't get it to turn back on. Had to go ask hubby to rescue me. He got it going by pressing the reset button, but we have no idea why it shut off. I hope it was just a weird glitch and there isn't some problem with the motor.

Doug joined me in the tub after that and we sat, in the dark, looking at the beautiful stars in the night sky, and chatting about the awesomeness of said stars-how many of them there are, how most of them probably have planets around them, and there's probably life on some of those planets, and how far ahead or behind evolutionarily their life might be from ours, and whether any of it might be intelligent, and what if someone comes visiting (They better be Vulcans!), and we are not that far from being able to send someone from our planet out in space to visit them. Our night sky is magnificent.

Live long and prosper. \\//

No comments:

Post a Comment