"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

9/23/12

Rain Please

This is what the sun looks like today.



It looks cloudy out, and dark, except when you look straight up you can see the sky is blue and, of course, the sun. The smoke is making us miserable. My daughter and I have steady smoke induced migraines, my eyelids feel like sandpaper, I'm carrying my inhaler around with me, and I'm coughing a lot. I feel wretched. We need rain to slow down the wild fires and clean the air. At least we didn't get that 90F degree weather predicted for the weekend. It's been in the low 80's, probably cuz the smoke is blocking out so much sun. I have the air conditioner going since we can't open the windows to get a breeze blowing through the house. I've got it set on 'inside' so it doesn't suck air in from outside. Still, I know the smoke is getting in cuz there are vents in the ceiling and stuff. Sigh.

I ventured out for a few minutes to take pics of my new WIPs. This will be a lace cowl.


It is the first of the Christmas knitting projects. I've also cast on the first of a pair of argyle socks. That's all I've done-cast on. I need to find my bobbins for doing intarsia knitting. They weren't where I thought they'd be.

This is going to be a hat for my nephew, Tyler.



He joined the army earlier this year. Boot camp is done, and he's been deployed somewhere in the world. He can't tell us where, but he said the nights are very cold and he could use a knit beanie. Orange and blue are the colors he wants. Something to do with The Broncos. I'm going to use Cascade 220 Superwash wool. I did a bit of research and found out the army requires wool for this kind of stuff because it is a bit fire resistant and, of course, warmer. Acrylic melts under fire. Not good in combat. I hope we never have to find out how fire resistant the hat will be.

Here's another sleeping kitten pic from last night. I call this maximum usage of space.



Live long and prosper. \\//

No comments:

Post a Comment