"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

1/24/11

Cenotes and Beaded Beads

I have come up with a name for my new sock pattern. I will call it Cenotes. Cenotes are small lakes formed by caves collapsing underground and filling up with ground water. There are lots of them on the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico. When we took our trip down to Tulum, Mexico a couple years ago I swam in a couple different Cenotes. They usually have very clear, deep, fresh water in them and are the color of blue that is my socks. Some of them have beautiful tropical fish in them too.

Picture of a Mexican Cenote


Another Mexican Cenote


Over the weekend I did some beading. I have this huge pile of peach colored 10mm Chinese crystals that I just love. I've been trying to think of something to do with them. I have tried all kinds of ideas that did not work out, so I finally gave in to my usual, the Octahedral Cluster.




I've been wanting to do something in peach, white, and teal/aqua. After making that bead, I thought I'd try an Octahedra in size 8 and 15 seed beads. I got this tiny little beaded bead.


What has been on my mind most, though, is the pesky peyote covered beaded beads. I started doing a bit with them last year, but got sidetracked. I'm back to doing them. I want to get proficient at them.



I covered two 12mm plastic beads with size 11 seed beads. They are a bit harder than they look. The number of beads used has to be adjusted depending on their specific size. For instance, the above beads are both done in size 11 Japanese seed beads made by the same company. However, I had to increase to 30 beads around to cover the peach one, but only 24 beads around on the teal one. The peach beads are just a tiny bit smaller in height.

I had a hard time figuring out how many rounds to go up before I start decreasing too. I tried over and over to start at one end and work my way to the other all in one piece, but I just can't get it to look right that way. If I make two pieces starting at the end and working toward the middle, and then zip the two pieces together I have much more success. Oddly enough, both these beads needed a total of 18 rounds, so even though the peach ones are a tiny bit shorter, they are the same size in width to the teal beads. Weird, huh?


I think I have this figured out now, at least for me. I got pretty frustrated working on those two little beads because it seemed like I was having  to take apart and put together way too much, but I'm glad I worked it out. Sometimes it pays to be stubborn.

I did work on the first Lobster Cardi sleeve last night. It's about a third done.

The day started out with fluffy snow falling, and has ended with big gloppy rain drops. Fun fun!

Live long and prosper. \\//



1 comment:

  1. Breathtaking beadwork! And I think "Cenote" is the perfect name for your lovely socks.

    ReplyDelete