"Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either." ~ Elizabeth Zimmerman

12/24/10

A Bit of Glam

The last two pair of the Christmas gift mitts.


Owlings in Rust Brown Heather

Pattern: Owlings by Kerrie James
Size: Womens medium

Yarn: 
Content: 100% Superwash Merino

Needles: Addi Turbo Circular size 6.

Cast on: December 12, 2010
Bound off: December 16, 2010

Comments: I really love the stitch pattern in these mitts, but the pattern design itself ended up being changed. For one thing I do not like the way the thumb is done. Hands aren’t shaped that way. How hard would it have been to actually knit in a thumb gusset? Easy as pie, that’s how. So that’s what I did.

I also finished the top above the owls with 2 rows of 4x1 rib, 2 rows of 1x1 rib, then bound of in rib. I’m not sure why she wants the sewn bind off, except maybe so the beginning and end match? I didn’t need that. I wanted just a bit of a flair, and got it with the 1x1 rib.

The owls came to life when I added their golden eyes done with size 8 seed beads.



~~~~~~~~~~


'Emerald Mitts' in Denim Heather


Pattern: Emerald Fingerless Mittens by Lucy Sweetland
Size: Womens

Yarn: Vintage by Berroco in Denim Blue
Content:  50% Acrylic, 40% Wool, 10% Nylon

Needles: Addi Turbo Circular size 4.

Cast on: December 16, 2010
Bound off: December 20, 2010

Comments: What a beautiful design! I love it! I did adjust where the thumb gusset goes a bit. One of these days I'll knit a pattern as written. LOL!

I LOVE the yarn I used for these. It's so soft and absolutely delightful to work with. Knitted with size 4 needles makes it absolutely snuggly wuggly. I shall be using this yarn again.

Detail of the stitch pattern. Such a feminine design. It fits the receiver of these mitts perfectly.


~~~~~~~~~~

Wow! It's Christmas Eve. The last two months just flew by. All the presents are wrapped and under the tree, except the 6 plates of Bacon Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies Ruth and I made yesterday. I put those under the tree and they'll be mauled by 2 cats, then consumed by a very rascally Iggy. I don't wanna even think about how sick that Iggy would be after that. Ick! No, make that Double Ick!

Today I'm going to make a Waldorf salad, roast a large turkey breast, and bake a Coconut Cake for tonights family Christmas Eve dinner. My in-laws are pie people, for the most part. But I'm a cake person so I've decided to go with something I'll love, and hope to, maybe, make a couple of cake converts while I'm at it. I'm trying a new recipe that just sounds so good my mouth waters at the very thought. Sam Champions Coconut Cake, as featured on Good Morning America last week. It's a real pretty cake too. Looks all fluffy. Makes me think of snow. Here's hoping it turns out. I love cake, but I'm not so good at making them as I am pies (I should take a cake class). If it turns out right, I shall take pics. I'm even going to decorate it. I was thinking about silk flowers. (Ha! You actually thought I'd make Poinsettias out of frosting? I want this thing to NOT look like it's bleeding to death, and be edible!)

Now for some knitting talk. You know that sock I've been working on that I showed you on Wednesday? I frogged it. Yeah. Right down to the first loop of the cast on. I was not happy with the size of the sock. It was a very loose fit on me. I had visions of them gathering around my ankles and trying to slip inside my shoes. I needed to take it down a few stitches. I've got the ribbed cuff done already and I'm liking it so much better.

Well, I've got a lot of cooking to do, so I better get to it!

Live long and prosper. \\//

No comments:

Post a Comment